Corriente Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Hi
I am buying some corriente cows and I have done some research but I still think that I can use some info. can anyone tell me a little about the breed, and what are some of the strong points of the breed. I would also like to know if any one has had any trouble selling them or if they have been pretty easy to sell. Finally has any every crossed with another breed if so how did it turn out.
Thanks

First of all, why corrientes? What are your reasons for buying them?

As you probably already know, they are a smaller breed used primarily by ropers and rodeo stockmen. They will most likely be your most consistant buyers. Never owned any myself, so cant help you with the cross breeding part. Good luck!

i have neighbors in the roping business and they keep corrientes. ropers are the only buyers for the cattle, and usually pretty cheap. they still show corriente, light bone and horns and small when crossbred. they are not meaty, less meaty than a longhorn. the one thing they will do is they will eat anything. they eat every type of brush and weed, so if your pasture is real poor, corrientes and goats are your best bet. in the middle of a bad drought, corrientes will still be making it while eating thistle and briar and everything else

stocky":1vewtqgs said:
i have neighbors in the roping business and they keep corrientes. ropers are the only buyers for the cattle, and usually pretty cheap.
Trippers and bulldoggers will use them also. The market for useable Corriente steers (even heifers) is huge, at least in the Southwest.
they still show corriente, light bone and horns and small when crossbred.
which works in their favor for their designed purpose.
the one thing they will do is they will eat anything. they eat every type of brush and weed, so if your pasture is real poor, corrientes and goats are your best bet. in the middle of a bad drought, corrientes will still be making it while eating thistle and briar and everything else
Which is a desireable trait.

doc, sounds like some real good info on the corrientes. It may be that the reason they are so cheap here is that the only ones for sale are the ones that are not suitable for the rodeo type purposes. i see them at the sales barns all the time and they are thin and have horns and can be picked up real cheap---guess i am not seeing the real usable ones, or it might be that this area is different

stocky":1h4f5x95 said:
doc, sounds like some real good info on the corrientes. It may be that the reason they are so cheap here is that the only ones for sale are the ones that are not suitable for the rodeo type purposes. i see them at the sales barns all the time and they are thin and have horns and can be picked up real cheap---guess i am not seeing the real usable ones, or it might be that this area is different
Or the ones you are seeing are already used up ("roped out"). Decent ones are in constant demand for hobby ropers and competitive ropers and bulldoggers, both for purchase and lease. You may be watching a goldmine walk through the ring. :lol:

What some folks to in this area is lease them to ropers for practice. Unless they get roped out this is a pretty good source of income.

The reason I picked corriente is that they look pretty easy to take care, they're pretty cheap, and it looks like there is a market out there for them. I could be wrong but since I don't plan to rope them they will be always fresh and pretty easy to sell.

kaneranch":3bngnm0u said:
Hi
I am buying some corriente cows and I have done some research but I still think that I can use some info. can anyone tell me a little about the breed, and what are some of the strong points of the breed. I would also like to know if any one has had any trouble selling them or if they have been pretty easy to sell. Finally has any every crossed with another breed if so how did it turn out.
Thanks

Well they are roping cattle and mostly used for sport and not beef, so therefore you can sell them to team ropers and rodeo people. I do know a man that has a few and has crossed them to longhorns to use for team roping.

same thing around here as rc. Lease them out. I have seen pairs go for as little as $800 as a 3 in one. There is one rancher in SD, that takes orders for them delivers to your place for 3 months than comes and picks them back up again. Don't know what a person has to give to lease one tho.

I'm thinking that $25 per head a month is what they lease for around here. That's not too bad considering the lessee is responsible for care and feeding.

rc":3n6j1e90 said:
I'm thinking that $25 per head a month is what they lease for around here. That's not too bad considering the lessee is responsible for care and feeding.

I don't know anything about renting roping calves, but it seems that a lot of if the 25 bucks a month is worth it would depend on how much you have tied up in them when they go out for lease, death losses, how often the can be leased out and what the salvage value is.

dun

I have about 30 head of Corriente cattle here now (a friends), and am breeding a couple heifers to a little Corriente bull. The upside is usually very low birthweight, hardiness, and also as previously mentioned they will eat anything. You can get some good money for your horned roping calves, but you will probably need to find some sales for roping cattle to command top dollar, or find some roping folks who will purchase privately. Some of the guys that breed Corriente infuse a sht of Longhorn blood for more rapid horn growth.