Corriente Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
If any of you fellas know of a good corriente bull in the Alabama / Georgia area for sale, let me know. I'm gonna start raising my own roping stock rather than buying. I bought a load of heifers that were bred and are calving now. I need a bull by July, pickings are kind of slim around here. They are a little hard to find.

Ol' 243":2ehe0zvq said:
If any of you fellas know of a good corriente bull in the Alabama / Georgia area for sale, let me know. I'm gonna start raising my own roping stock rather than buying. I bought a load of heifers that were bred and are calving now. I need a bull by July, pickings are kind of slim around here. They are a little hard to find.

Good black corriente bulls get passed round here like a cheap date. Real popular for a sleep all night hiefer bull on black cows.

I've got one for sale, but I am not in the Alabama/Georgia area...lol

We roped him and his sisters, I was going to keep him, but decided to move to more of a beef only operation.

Guy around here uses a longhorn bull on corriente cows says it makes better horns but I don't know anything about roping. Don't know if there are any LH bulls over there.

wacocowboy":t2eaohil said:
Guy around here uses a longhorn bull on corriente cows says it makes better horns but I don't know anything about roping. Don't know if there are any LH bulls over there.
roped both for years. The corriente is the ideal roping steer if you can find the original. Even going to the border it is hard to find them anymore. The newer ones have been mainly have some crosses in them and many times it is hit and miss. The same can be said for LH's. You need to know your bloodlines and find the right ones. We had some that was very good and some that were very bad. Some of the best LH's I ever used were some beef type LH's. You had to buy them young. Feed them very little and they would only last a short while until they got too big but they were easy to handle and worked very good.

I guess I'm gonna have to look at buying one out of Texas, and try to work out getting him on a load coming this way with a shipper.

Ol' 243":1v0uv1w1 said:
I guess I'm gonna have to look at buying one out of Texas, and try to work out getting him on a load coming this way with a shipper.

I'm in extreme west Ky. If you want me to put my feelers out I will.

Bigfoot":3mchxmpy said:
Ol' 243":3mchxmpy said:

Please do, I come up to the Grand Rivers/ Paducah area three times during the summer, I could pick him up easily.

Ol' 243":1s2auvbb said:
Bigfoot":1s2auvbb said:
Ol' 243":1s2auvbb said:

Please do, I come up to the Grand Rivers/ Paducah area three times during the summer, I could pick him up easily.

I'm extremely close to there.

I know a vet and her husband, up around Owensboro, KY who rope, and raise Corrientes. I'll touch base with her.
If she's not got one, she may have a line on one.

elkwc":1tm3w0jx said:
wacocowboy":1tm3w0jx said:
roped both for years. The corriente is the ideal roping steer if you can find the original. Even going to the border it is hard to find them anymore. The newer ones have been mainly have some crosses in them and many times it is hit and miss. The same can be said for LH's. You need to know your bloodlines and find the right ones. We had some that was very good and some that were very bad. Some of the best LH's I ever used were some beef type LH's. You had to buy them young. Feed them very little and they would only last a short while until they got too big but they were easy to handle and worked very good.

it is hard to get "real" corriente cattle for sure; I have two heifers(bred to the father--black, supposedly from mexico, of the little bull I decided to sell) that are supposed to be true Corrientes from mexico...we'll see what they calve. Most of my other roping cattle are a mix of corriente and lh, the one's that have more lh do seem to grow too fast, and are not quite as tough as the cattle with more corriente influence.

^^^^ agreed, real corriente's are tough little critters. They grow a lot slower, but you can rope em longer and they can live on dirt. A 3/4 corriente and 1/4 LH is a good cross IMO

That is becoming real popular right now. I will be curios how that market pans out. A buddy of mine was trying to get me to go in with him on some also but I passed. I told him selling roping steers is like selling drugs, there is a lot of demand, and even money in the right market... but you got to deal with people who have a drug habit. They would rather show up at your house and smoke or snort you stuff than pay for it.

I could be wrong... it won't be the first time I missed out on a good deal.

Brute 23":ceb3h9m5 said:
That is becoming real popular right now. I will be curios how that market pans out. A buddy of mine was trying to get me to go in with him on some also but I passed. I told him selling roping steers is like selling drugs, there is a lot of demand, and even money in the right market... but you got to deal with people who have a drug habit. They would rather show up at your house and smoke or snort you stuff than pay for it.

More head per acre, with less inputs. Fertility issues largely non existent. Majority of what we cull a commercial cow for, doesn't even apply to raising ropers.

Bigfoot":10ornc8f said:
Brute 23":10ornc8f said:

More head per acre, with less inputs. Fertility issues largely non existent. Majority of what we cull a commercial cow for, doesn't even apply to raising ropers.

For sure. My hesitations were all about the market to sell them. Is it the next Emu deal? If you sell them at the auction it's like giving them away.

I know several guys who turned out cows to breed thinking they would do all the good with an Angus bull. They have all gelotten rid of them over time because they were giving the calves away... even with the low inputs.

If you don't get out and work them, market them, etc as ready to go roping steers there is no market.

I bought steers from the border for several years. I never had any trouble selling them. 90% were too friends. Never lost a single one although many looked terrible

Latest posts