Corriente black angus cross

Help Support CattleToday:

ccjay2012

Reaction score
Hello hope I can get some straight awnsers about this but I have some corriente/black angus calfs and my thought is to breed the heifers (when there old enough) to a bucking bull... Is it worth it to try and get some bucking calves out of these heifers or heck no?

is there away I can breed them out of the small framed body? I'm new with cattle and the calves were given to me but I don't like the small frame

ccjay2012":aw9hkdmw said:
is there away I can breed them out of the small framed body? I'm new with cattle and the calves were given to me but I don't like the small frame

It would be easier to just start over with the frame score you'd like.
I have a very limited experience with bucking bulls. It needs to be something you do for personal enjoyment. A limited number work out for rodeo.

Yeah, if you want to kill the heifers at calving. A small frame animal is difficult to breed up in size, although it can be done - slowly. You don't breed to a bull that is 4 frames bigger. If they were "given" to you, I cannot imagine they are "seed stock" to start a herd with. Why not raise them up & sell as freezer beef and use that money to purchase what you want?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":210g974f said:
Yeah, if you want to kill the heifers at calving. A small frame animal is difficult to breed up in size, although it can be done - slowly. You don't breed to a bull that is 4 frames bigger. If they were "given" to you, I cannot imagine they are "seed stock" to start a herd with. Why not raise them up & sell as freezer beef and use that money to purchase what you want?

I raised there mommas they were my wife's dads and he passed and she got the baby calves but there mommas was bred with a decent angus bull last fall so the calves we have now are cross so would they be bigger them then there mommas

Jeanne - Simme Valley":tbe0bbd5 said:
Longhorn Charolais cross is all the rage here.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3lalyc5z said:
Apparently they don't have any problems with spitting calves out of Charolais and Belgian Blue bulls.

Muddy":28rrv96k said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":28rrv96k said:
Apparently they don't have any problems with spitting calves out of Charolais and Belgian Blue bulls.

So what if I put a charbray or brangus on my corriente/angus heifers would their offsprings have a decent frame or no?

ccjay2012":85n2u13v said:
Muddy":85n2u13v said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":85n2u13v said:

So what if I put a charbray or brangus on my corriente/angus heifers would their offsprings have a decent frame or no?
Crossbred bulls + crossbred cows = unpredictable calf crop

callmefence":1pk3wvbm said:
Round and round we got where we land nobody knows. If your dead set on using these calves , and want to make decent cattle go back Angus.

I really thought about breeding them back to an angus but would that make the new calves 1/4 corriente 3/4 angus and would i lose the horns?

Brute 23":2jkkbuzt said:
Pretty sure this thread is a joke fence. Don't waste any more enet space.

It's not a joke I really don't know about crossbreeding I'm taking everyones input into consideration if you Think it's stupid then let me know and give some straight fwd input

callmefence":18bejw2g said:
Round and round we got where we land nobody knows. If your dead set on using these calves , and want to make decent cattle go back Angus.
True. They'll still be spotted though. Char is the only cross that will cover up the spots and add some pounds. If you're given lemons why not make lemonade, or margaritas :cowboy:

Spots can show for many generations. Horns on a corriente, might, I don't know.

RanchMan90":3swfl58s said:
callmefence":3swfl58s said:
True. They'll still be spotted though. Char is the only cross that will cover up the spots and add some pounds.

I would agree if you are going straight to terminal calves char would be a good choice.

If he's wanting to make a herd outta these calves the 3/4 Angus would make some good mama cows with the touch of corriente.
But somehow I forgot he's trying to make bucking bulls.
Corriente and longhorns are often used here as hiefer bulls. The calves are typically weaned and sold early. But some are around and typically make good mama's. I'm talking about turn em out and forget about em kinda cattle.

Sold a 540 lb heifer out a first calf Angus heifer and a pure Corriente bull today. She brought 1.51 per lb. She had little nubs. Was a late fall calf. She sold as a single. Didn't feel they docked her as much as I expected.

Latest posts