Correction

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it carries risks, but there's lots worse things young folks can get into than rodeo.

Tuff staying on Bodacious is beyond legend, likely never to be equalled tho JB Mauney's ride on Bushwacker was pretty good too.

Again, I was never very good at it but loved every minute of it, have watched and kept up with it ever since no less than many of us can't walk thru a sporting good section in the springtime and not pick up a new leather baseball glove to try on. Tho it's been all these decades, I can still recognize the smell of rope rosin.
Walking into a rodeo arena, even a good roping pen just floods ya with memory and sensory perceptions. (and no, I am definitely not a roper either)
I think it was CallMeFence that once said "When I was young, I could ride like a Commanche and rope like a Vaquero, just not at the same time" :)
A smell I remember was the synthetic 2-stroke oil burning you always smelled at the moto-x tracks in the 70's when I was racing. Today most ride 4 strokes, but occasionally I catch a whiff of that sweet smell from my youth.

Last edited:
I salute and thank you for your service to us all Warren.
Thank you for that, RDFF, but I am not a veteran and have never claimed to be. SOGs were Company units. CIA not military. Created during the Carter years ( as they were under Obama and now with Sleepy Joe) anytime the Demtards are in power. If Dems accomplish nothing else, they always decimate the military. The Company then creates these SOGs during those times, to mirror regular military Special Forces. They can operate without presidential or congressional approval, and are not bound by military rules of engagement. They are created to do things that need doing, but that Demtards have prevented...even prohibited... or severerly restricted, the military's capabilities to do.; They are made up of ex-SF operators, current Company operatives, and occasionally a civilian that is not ex-military or a company operator, but is recruited because of a special skill set they may have. Wahoo and I were the latter. We got paid in a day what military got paid in a month. But the trade off was that we never wore anything identifying us as American, and we knew going in that if things turned south, no one was coming to get us, Or even acknowledge we existed. Our function was eliminating enemy targets, infrastructure or personnel, in tropical regions. The Jungle Team, we were called. There was a desert team, an urban team, and an artic team as well. I never considered us as being worthy of the honor and respect owed to our vets.

Sometimes you have to wonder just how precise things have been pre-planned for our lives to have something happen in such a small window. Your comment made me think of my mom's accident, head-on with a drunk driver. Had she been going a little slower or a little faster then she wouldn't of been in that exact spot when he passed the car in front of him hitting her. For better or worse we can't change them, just accept it and move forward. We can have good and bad decisions decide outcomes in our lives but those determined by forces outside of our control can leave a person wondering for a long time.
Exactly, my mother's grandmother was murdered by a Tennant in the '50's in Hoquiam. Needed one more to make the rent. You never know

Thank you for that, RDFF, but I am not a veteran and have never claimed to be. SOGs were Company units. CIA not military. Created during the Carter years ( as they were under Obama and now with Sleepy Joe) anytime the Demtards are in power. If Dems accomplish nothing else, they always decimate the military. The Company then creates these SOGs during those times, to mirror regular military Special Forces. They can operate without presidential or congressional approval, and are not bound by military rules of engagement. They are created to do things that need doing, but that Demtards have prevented...even prohibited... or severerly restricted, the military's capabilities to do.; They are made up of ex-SF operators, current Company operatives, and occasionally a civilian that is not ex-military or a company operator, but is recruited because of a special skill set they may have. Wahoo and I were the latter. We got paid in a day what military got paid in a month. But the trade off was that we never wore anything identifying us as American, and we knew going in that if things turned south, no one was coming to get us, Or even acknowledge we existed. Our function was eliminating enemy targets, infrastructure or personnel, in tropical regions. The Jungle Team, we were called. There was a desert team, an urban team, and an artic team as well. I never considered us as being worthy of the honor and respect owed to our vets.
Still served us all, and it is greatly appreciated.

. Had she been going a little slower or a little faster then she wouldn't of been in that exact spot when he passed the car in front of him hitting her.
That's what my wife told me Christmas morning about 6 years ago when we were going down to Baytown for Christmas dinner at my niece's place. Wife had wanted to drive (she drives too fast) and also wanted me to stop at a convenient store 1/2 mile after we left home for breakfast tacos but I told her I'd drive and we'd stop in Liberty for breakfast. Just a few miles on down the road from home, a feral hog ran out from the other lane from right behind an oncoming car and I smacked it good, tearing up the front end of wife's car, and we had to backtrack a few miles back home and get my pickup to make it down for dinner.

Wife told me, "If you had stopped for breakfast, that hog would have done gone off into the woods before we got there and if you had let me drive, we'd been miles farther down the road before he ever tried to cross."

I knew already tho, that it was gonna be my fault somehow, some way, no matter what, even if the hog had fallen out an airplane and suddenly splatted down right in front of us..

Bulls aren't hard to ride, there hard to get off. Going over the dash or out the tailgate is never recommended and usually only one door is the safest of the unsafe ways of exit. Rode a many one back in the day.
It's a guarantee to an injury if you do it long enough.
Always thought the easiest riding ones never gave a payback! They just let you show your "style " . I preferred the show were only 4-5 made the ride cause you were in the money. And I would take the tailgate before going down the well.

The car accident stories..

Years ago I was driving down maple st.
Drove that road EVERY DAY.
For no reason at all I stopped at an intersection that never had a stop sign. I mean there was no reason to it. Idk why I stopped.

Anyway. About the time I come to a complete stop, this dumb kid comes flying thru the intersection on a skateboard!

Had I not stopped for no good reason at all he would've been smeared all over the road.

Those things u never forget. Hell, that was 20 or so years ago!!

When I was in college I was coming home one night around midnight. I was in some hills with turns and all the sudden there is a big black bull calf in my headlights. I was able to dodge him and luckily he didn't move. I cut back around and went to find him. I got behind him and he headed for a fence and went back through. I couldn't sleep knowing he was out there.

I've always had jobs where I cover a lot of ground on back roads. I've put some many cattle back in and helped so many people put cattle back in. A few times I've had some get out and people were super nice about it. I'd like to think it payed off.

I ran up on an accident just south of Reno one day, a very busy road that led to Carson City and had a lot of traffic. A suburban had hit a horse, and the horse was down. But there was another horse running around with people trying to catch it. Basically they were scaring an already terrified animal. It was amazing that the horse hadn't run out into the oncoming lane and gotten hit because oncoming traffic was heavy and hadn't slowed. I got out because I realized there was a gate directly to my right, a way to contain the horse if the people chasing it would scare it my way. A guy pulling a livestock trailer behind me and in the inside lane got out too, waving and nodding at me as he saw me go for the gate. He ran ahead, wide around the loose horse, and yelled at the frantic people, telling them to work the horse along the fence and in the ditch. All things considered it was amazing that it worked. The horse came down alongside the fence and right in the gate, and I closed it.

I found out later that the down horse survived.

I have noticed that there is a few people here that feel a need to point out when someone that says something that might not quite be right. And they usually do it in a very pointed fashion.
It seems I've seen a lot of people be rude for absolutely no reason other than to make themselves appear smart.
I do believe that it's just this kind of attitude that is ruining our great nation. Do you always have to be right?
Do you always have to be the last one to get your word in ?
Do you always have to say something negative?
I think we all can probably use a little better attitude of gratitude.
We a bunch of lucky people we even got time to waste on here.
Yep there seems to be a group of bullies that are so insecure in their opinions, that if anyone expresses a different opinion. The go into personal attack mode.
I think it would be far more beneficial for them to discuss why they feel the way they do and bring supporting info that supports their opinion.
I think it would benefit the board as a whole to have discussions over different opinions and their benefits and weaknesses.
I think the continued personal attacks by bullies limits the discussion and the willingness to offer different points of view or ideas.

Yep there seems to be a group of bullies that are so insecure in their opinions, that if anyone expresses a different opinion. The go into personal attack mode.
I think it would be far more beneficial for them to discuss why they feel the way they do and bring supporting info that supports their opinion.
I think it would benefit the board as a whole to have discussions over different opinions and their benefits and weaknesses.
I think the continued personal attacks by bullies limits the discussion and the willingness to offer different points of view or ideas.
Agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts