Correct me if I am wrong.

Help Support CattleToday:

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Reaction score
I planted Vaughns bermuda here recently (sprigs) we have been getting rain ever since and the bermuda has come up. I want to spray it for weeds. If I remember correctly I can spray pig weed, rag weed, horse nettle, etc with 2-4-D and it wont hurt the bermuda or am I not remembering correctly?

2-4D isn't designed to hurt grass, but alot of herbicides can affect very immature grass at least a little.

Yeah, I'd let it get well established before I sprayed it. 2,4-D won't hurt grass if you follow the label recommended rates.

brandonm_13":2xacmj6v said:
2-4D isn't designed to hurt grass, but alot of herbicides can affect very immature grass at least a little.

Yeah I am going to let it get about 2-3 inches before I spray it. There are only a few weeds in there right now but I dont want the bermuda to get choked out by them. Plus I plan on bailing it for hay and I dont want weeds in it. So I guess I will spray it before I fertilize it.

No

It would be at least a year before I cut it for hay and or turn the cattle on it so that it gets established. I have put some white clover in there with it and it looks like it is coming up to. It should make some darn good hay.

Take you a little plot of bermuda. Sprinkle some fertilizer on it. Come back after a rain or two. Try to get rid of it. Once you figure out how vigorous it is, it may pay to put some chicken litter on it to allow it to take over the weeds instead of poison. The white clover grows native in my pastures. Some bermuda there also. Bermuda in these parts is like a poor man's alfalfa.

HerefordSire":2y7nidjs said:
Take you a little plot of bermuda. Sprinkle some fertilizer on it. Come back after a rain or two. Try to get rid of it. Once you figure out how vigorous it is, it may pay to put some chicken litter on it to allow it to take over the weeds instead of poison. The white clover grows native in my pastures. Some bermuda there also. Bermuda in these parts is like a poor man's alfalfa.

True, it's next to impossible to rid a place of bermuda once it's established. However, weed control in bermuda has benefits. Bermuda will not take over or crowd out all species of weeds without assistance. Alfalfa in these parts is non-existent.

When I sprig bermuda I will spray 2,4-D on the dirt immediately behind the packer. This will somehow screw up the texas millet seed and when it germinates it will be unable to put down a proper root and will not compete with your bermuda. I've done it both ways as a personal test and the results onf the 24D on dirt are well worth the added trouble. After germination it does little good.

Jogeephus":34wgcadw said:
When I sprig bermuda I will spray 2,4-D on the dirt immediately behind the packer. This will somehow screw up the texas millet seed and when it germinates it will be unable to put down a proper root and will not compete with your bermuda. I've done it both ways as a personal test and the results onf the 24D on dirt are well worth the added trouble. After germination it does little good.

I will definitely keep that in mind.

Latest posts