Corrals on rented ground

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I have some ground were I rent I have had it for years and will more than likely have it until the current owners die. Have have around 25 cows and was thing of building a corral so I can get them up easier and work them. What would be best build a perment corral or something more portable

It sounds like the corral will be more or less stationery, if that is so I would use the portable panels but just buy the heavier ones. ex: WW instead of priefert

Coral panels with them chanied to T-posts whre the sections join together.

Portable panels---if you lose the lease, load them up and use them elsewhere or sell them---dunno about where you live, but craigslist here always has ads from people looking to buy used panels.

what everyone else said....

portable is the only way to go on rented land....

you will need to put some posts in at pressure points just to keep things stable....

don't work the cattle hard .....they will tell you you are too hard when they go under them and drop them on you.

after getting panels for my horses....when I had to rebuild my cattle barn after a fire in 2003 I built my pens in my new barn out of panels....have been using it for ten years now.....the chute part I did line with plywood to keep them from sticking the nose out and to limit vision....but I used light plywood

in fact when we assist producers with stream exclusions and water systems I always recommend that they put some panels around the water point to make a temporary catch pen and to better control grazing by using panels as gates to different paddocks...cheap and easier than building corrals....

Even if you could get payed for some of the permanent corral, you would probably still be out the time. And some good portable stuff might be pretty valuable to have around anyway if you gonna be in this business.

pdfangus":1133oy0u said:
you will need to put some posts in at pressure points just to keep things stable....
That's what the T-posts are for, and you can pull them when you get ready to move. It also allows some flexibility if you decide to change the layout some. We've had ours sweep and chutes secured that way for 10 years and after the first slight adjustments we haven't touched them. Chain with double ended dogsnaps are just shy of perfect for securing the T-posts to the panels.

dun":2t7dm1cq said:
pdfangus":2t7dm1cq said:
That's what the T-posts are for, and you can pull them when you get ready to move. It also allows some flexibility if you decide to change the layout some. We've had ours sweep and chutes secured that way for 10 years and after the first slight adjustments we haven't touched them. Chain with double ended dogsnaps are just shy of perfect for securing the T-posts to the panels.

Just the set up I have for my working pens, panels with T-post all around. Instead of chain I used the inexpensive rope or twine I guess that comes on the square bales. I can't recall what that twine that comes around the bales are called.

Easy to install a sturdy.

Alan":2uqrdapp said:
dun":2uqrdapp said:
pdfangus":2uqrdapp said:

Just the set up I have for my working pens, panels with T-post all around. Instead of chain I used the inexpensive rope or twine I guess that comes on the square bales. I can't recall what that twine that comes around the bales are called.

Easy to install a sturdy.
Until we moved here the only thing that was used on square bales was baling wire, not twine. I would think in OR that twine would rot pretty fast.

No, I don't see the twine made from "hemp"(?) anymore, at least it looks like hemp twine. I only see the twine made from some sort of poly. The poly twine on the working pens has been there for around 10 years.

I sure the environmentalist love the stuff.

Alan":toa0j8re said:
No, I don't see the twine made from "hemp"(?) anymore, at least it looks like hemp twine. I only see the twine made from some sort of poly. The poly twine on the working pens has been there for around 10 years.

I sure the environmentalist love the stuff.
Around here the only poly twine is used on round bales. What kind of hay do you get in squares that doesn;t use wire?

Portable panels with wood posts. It makes a good sturdy corral. I have one with railroad ties on rented ground. If I lost the lease all I am out is the posts.

I haven't seen wire bales since I was teenager working on my uncles dairy. I've only seen "hemp" once or twice 10years or so ago. Every small square I have every bought in the last 12 or13 years was/is poly.

In western Oregon it's mostly just called pasture local pasture grass. It's has some orchard, fetch, and a mixture of other types of grasses. Maybe Dave or someone knows much better than myself what gasses grow in our pastures out here. As long as it doesn't have many black berries in it and keeps weight on the cattle through the winter it what most everyone feeds. If I see bracken fern or horse tail in it I won't buy out of that field.

Over in eastern Oregon they work harder at growing hay, lots of good, fertilized orchard grass and also alfalfa and alfalfa/orchard grass mix. All small bales with poly and I've seen two string bales weighing over 130lbs.

Locally made hay is some kind of poly twine, but I see feedstores selling bales still bound with wire or the 'hemp' looking rope--usually out of a big box trailer they swap out when empty. I think it comes from out of state somehwhere.
(these are the small squares--not the great big ones)

greybeard":21m6r01k said:
Locally made hay is some kind of poly twine, but I see feedstores selling bales still bound with wire or the 'hemp' looking rope--usually out of a big box trailer they swap out when empty. I think it comes from out of state somehwhere.
(these are the small squares--not the great big ones)
Baling wire is about the only thing handier then duct tape. I have a couple of spools of it that I use frequently for lots of stuff

Latest posts