Corrals/handling systems

Help Support CattleToday:

I pointed an arrow at it and changed the color a bit so it would show better (I hope).

corrals1.jpg

Ahhhh I see. Thanks alot. I don't know if we can do that b/c of the concrete but I'll look and see. When I start building we will probably just have to modify that area to make it work around the concrete. Or maybe we can bust it up right there.

Thanks,

Josh

One more question about the gate that closes behind that. Should the gate be the same length or should I just make it the length of the new smaller opening? It looks like it would probably be half the size.

Josh

Josh

Have you looked into getting used oil field pipe to build your pens? That is what we used and once you get a cow in there they will not get out, if they do then we are in trouble :lol: We got it for $.80 ft for 2 7/8 drillstem, trucked in from Louisanna. I don't know what it cost in your area though.

"You little guys could never have anything like that!"

Are you meaning the corrals or the pipe for $0.80 a foot? The pipe is pretty cheap. CHEAP panels cost about $1.00 a foot and when you build them out of treated 2x6 they are pretty close to $1.00 a foot by the time you add in post.

I'm a little guy. We only have 43 cows that reproduce. Not big by any means.

Josh

nice plans. I would put something to be able to hold or catch the cattle after you run them through the chute. have you put a cost to this project. also how do you print this pic without it being on several pages. I can't make it small enough to fit on one page

You might want to consider blocking gates on your alley that are not part of the sorting pens. It looks to me that to block the alley you have to have the gate to a sorting pen open. I would prefer to have block gates that would block the alley without opening up one of the pens. You could swing them from the other side if necessary. This would allow you to use the alley to sort and to run cattle all the down the alley without mixing them with cattle already in the pens.
I agree with the oilfield pipe plan. All my pens are 4 rails of pipe and a cattle panel welded to the bottom 3 rails. They are 6' high to the top rail. I have used some of the portable panels in the past, and there is nothing scarier than a mad cow with her head stuck through the rails of the panel trying to tear up the world to get away!

If you save the picture to your desktop, then right click it and click on open with Windows picture and fax viewer. Then click on print>next>next then it will ask to print on full page fax print and you click next and it should print. If you don't have windows XP then you should probably go to print properties in the program you open it in and there will probably be an option to print on one page.

As for the cost. I came up with about 3,000 to 4,000 not including the squeeze chute and the 20 panels I already have. The part from the middle of the grain bin down is all wooden. The rest is panels. That estimate is using cheap panels from TSC also. The place here will sell me treated 2x6x10s for $7.00 a piece and also for post I will be using railroad ties at $7.00 a piece. The $4,000 est. is probalby low. I estimated that before I added alot more to those plans. I really should sit down and refigure it. Each little fence post mark on those plans is 5' so just add up the total feet and find out what wood and panels would cost you. I'll figure it up and post what I come up with.

Josh

Ok I roughly figured it up. This is how I broke it down:

2x6x10s - 92 x $7 = $ 644
Crossties - 46 x $7 = $ 322
Panels - 76 x $40 = $3,040
______
$4,006

That is adding about 18 or so more panels than what is showing on the plans and more gates down the alley, but it is also excluding extra wood for gates and catwalks. Also hinges, gate latches and other hardware will need to be included.

I know you guys say don't use cheap panels, but right now I don't have a choice. If I buy heavy ones they will cost $80 a piece so that is $6,000 for just panels. We will need portable panels to take to other pastures anyway so I will just get these until I get more cashflow next year and get heavy ones then. That will give me extra panels if I need them then.

Josh

if you put a man gate in each pen so you can get in and out without having to walk through all the rest yo u will thank yourself many times over the years. if you dont you will kick yourself many times.

madman - our pens are build exactly like yours! I don't know of a cow around here that could possibly get out, and trust me I have had a few try.

Josh - you should SERIOUSLY look into the pipe for your pens, it might cost a little more to get into but I guarantee it will last a LOT longer then your wood pen design, and a mean cow ain't gunna crash through it either. If you are interested pm me and I can send you some pictures and layouts of our design. We priced out wood pens when we decided to build another set and the price wasn't that much of a difference for the pipe; well worth it.

brokenmouth":2y70o7ig said:
if you put a man gate in each pen so you can get in and out without having to walk through all the rest yo u will thank yourself many times over the years. if you dont you will kick yourself many times.

Amen. We use two posts set about a foot apart with a small spring loaded gate made of braced plywood. Except for calves, you don't even need the gates. Fairly cheap and as stated above, you'll kick yourself if you don't put em in. Also, those cheap panels will bite you in the long run. 1000 lb cow will bend them like a pretzel. Especially important in the areas where you're pushing the cows. Doesn't take but one nut case to ruin a beautiful setup (been there, done that). If you don't buy the tub, try to make sure you've got some sort of stops on the gate to keep them from turning and pushing back on you in the tub. If you build the tub out of panels, there will be angles where the panels join leaving a space between the gate and the tub sides (does that make sense?). If you can make the sides in the tub/alley solid or make them appear solid, it will help. I'm always surprised at how small a space a 1500 lb cow needs to turn around in. If you're like most people, the cost of a big setup like this done right is overwhelming. Have you considered only doing part of it at a time? Maybe the chute/alley/tub area with one pen now and add on as you go? Anyway, as usual, just my opinion and probably worth what you paid for it. Good luck with the project.

Lee

brokenmouth":123jbeuu said:
Do like brokenmouth says with the walk-through gates...he is right on the money. Also do like some others have said...need more than one catch pen after theyleave the working chute. Anybody that never misses a catch just hasnt worked enough cattle yet. Also think of the future...mandatory ID is coming like a speeding bullet....you need a lowstress way to work your calves and slip them back to the loading chute.
Last piece of advice...this is the best one and the hardest one all at the same time. Have your setup designed exactly like you want it when spring gets here and its time to start building it....then wait til next spring. You'll be surprised how many improvements you make in your plans over the next year....better and cheaper to do it on paper than wish you had

Thanks alot for the help guys.

Sidney can you send me some pics of your setup. Also the type of pipe you used and est. cost a foot. How did this pipe attach to each other and the post? Welding? If so, that creates a problem. Also you said make my wooden part pipe but how would you make it solid with pipe? Do you have sheets of metal to make the sides solid where needed?

Josh

tapeworm":33skkce8 said:
Last piece of advice...this is the best one and the hardest one all at the same time. Have your setup designed exactly like you want it when spring gets here and its time to start building it....then wait til next spring. You'll be surprised how many improvements you make in your plans over the next year....better and cheaper to do it on paper than wish you had

that is the truth! and is great advice. and even though we know that, we still usually wont wait.

jt

Latest posts