Corral Rebuild 2014 - Lots of pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

bbirder":1a12pwoi said:
Aaron, Sure did a great job. Most of us are envious. What type of fill did you use around your drain lines before covering? Also, did you use fabric first?

Just back filled with the same clay material. It is dense enough that it won't enter the pipe, and because it is disturbed, will let water through. If I had filled with sand first, I would have needed a socked tile. Socked tile or fabric won't work in this case as the clay will stick to it and slow down or stop the flow of water.

Neighbor to the west put in 600 acres of socked tile this year. He is in for a surprise.

HOSS":168cpgx0 said:
Have you been renting out that headgate to ISIS? There is enough blood on it to be used as a prop in a haunted house :mrgreen: :lol:

Very nice set up. :clap: :tiphat:

Dehorning. Had to gouge 4 calves before I could burn them and two of them really let loose with the red stuff. Rain has washed most of it off now.

Stocker Steve":1sw2eubu said:
Aaron":1sw2eubu said:
Preg-checking cows on Wednesday, so shall see what their take on the system is.

Did you water or feed them in the corral for a while ?
Next Wednesday, the 22nd, and no, I won't be feeding them beforehand in the corral. Come straight off grass and keep everything in the back-end liquid. Messier for the vet, but easier to probe them.

I really like that design. I like too that you used canvas tarps as a block for the budbox instead of welding sheet metal onto the panels. Makes it good in case you find you need to take them off at some point. I notice too the iron fencing. I'm used to seeing the big stand-alone iron panels we had on our place with the same structure, so I haven't seen permanent ones like that you installed. I also like too with the load out/in alley that you have the option to put in a mobile loading chute if need be. Otherwise, I'd know that it's more for trailer-loading than liner-loading.

Great job, Aaron! :)

Karin":np1wunzh said:
I really like that design. I like too that you used canvas tarps as a block for the budbox instead of welding sheet metal onto the panels. Makes it good in case you find you need to take them off at some point. I notice too the iron fencing. I'm used to seeing the big stand-alone iron panels we had on our place with the same structure, so I haven't seen permanent ones like that you installed. I also like too with the load out/in alley that you have the option to put in a mobile loading chute if need be. Otherwise, I'd know that it's more for trailer-loading than liner-loading.

Great job, Aaron! :)

They are the portable panels, 2 3/8 pipe 30' long. I just dug the feet down on them so that they were level each way and no tripping over the feet. The entire system can be moved with a tractor, nothing is below ground level - allows for easy changes if I want to, later on.

I thought that's what was done to them, but wasn't sure. Then they'd be the same size panels as what we had, some with ~4" pipe. So nothing is permanent about the system, then, everything, panels, chute, alley, can be moved and adjusted if need be. Do you have any room for sick pens, like for quarantining animals that needing treatment?

Karin":ihr73n1f said:
I thought that's what was done to them, but wasn't sure. Then they'd be the same size panels as what we had, some with ~4" pipe. So nothing is permanent about the system, then, everything, panels, chute, alley, can be moved and adjusted if need be. Do you have any room for sick pens, like for quarantining animals that needing treatment?

The main catch pen could act as a quarantine pen, if need be. It is a 63'x133' pen with the water bowl and lots of room to put multiple bales with rings. Could quarantine a potload of cattle if need be.

Really nice Aaron!! My hubby enjoyed looking at the pics too... would like to have something like that done here sometime! Get tired of butt deep muck in the spring or after heavy rains! Pat on the back to you for a thoughtful, useful set up! :tiphat: