Corral plans/working facility

Help Support CattleToday:

Anguscollegekid

Reaction score
Would anyone have pictures of their working facility or corrals that they could post or any ideas on what makes a good setup without having to sell have half the herd to afford it! We have one good setup in our winter pasture but need something bigger and solid at home which is where we vaccinate and AI. Need to have an easy way to load out and work cattle. Any way to have an alley that works for cows and calves, without allowing calves to turn around? Once used a facility that had a roping chute that calves were in, that was nice as it tapered so they couldn't turn around in it. Anyway, would really appreciate any ideas, pictures, websites, companies, etc. Thanks!

Anguscollegekid":c9pkvas8 said:
Would anyone have pictures of their working facility or corrals that they could post or any ideas on what makes a good setup without having to sell have half the herd to afford it! We have one good setup in our winter pasture but need something bigger and solid at home which is where we vaccinate and AI. Need to have an easy way to load out and work cattle. Any way to have an alley that works for cows and calves, without allowing calves to turn around? Once used a facility that had a roping chute that calves were in, that was nice as it tapered so they couldn't turn around in it. Anyway, would really appreciate any ideas, pictures, websites, companies, etc. Thanks!

We have some photos as well as a corral set-up as a drawing in one of our photo galleries on our website.

Not so sure how this will work but I did a drawing of mine and converted it to jpg. If it don't work and you want a copy PM me and I will send you the original in 11 x 17 format. This design is out a 50's rancher magazine.

COW-PEN.jpg

Anguscollegekid":2hgkvyuf said:
Thanks so much, those will be a great help! Now if I can just find the time to read them...and to convince Dad to spend the money :)
here is the trick - talk it up then let him think on it for awhile -
it will happen when it is "his" idea 8)

Anguscollegekid":327sy9x4 said:
Flaboy? Looks good, thanks. How wide is the alley leading up to the chute? Have the general idea but kind of hard to tell. Thanks.

Mine is only about 28 inches wide. When the bulls go through they push the sides out a bit but they make it. I had to put braces across the top of alley posts to keep them in shape. I made sure the alley has smooth sides though to keep them from getting scratched up.

Anguscollegekid":1vc0vvid said:
Any recommendations on best building material for cost effectiveness?

I don't know about the cost effectiveness of this, but iron and/or steel is the best.

I think depends on your area. I guess the folks in Texas have access to old drill rod or something like that. Down here steel of any kind is like gold.

In my squeeze lane I used full thickness deck boards 1x6 on the sides. The first 10-15 feet into this is 2x6's. They are spaced no more than 6 inches apart. They are all pressure treated. These boards were placed over the wire cattle panels so even if a board breaks they are still trapped. The outside perimeter I need to rebuild after many years. Right now it only has the 16 foot wire cattle panels around it. I need to replace some posts and then put about three boards all the way around the inside. It used to be all rough cut cypress boards but they finally gave up and put up the wire panels.

Oh, and last 8 feet before going into the squeeze chute has 3/4 pressure treated plywood from the ground up 2 feet to keep them from sticking the legs through or under it.

Latest posts