Coronavirus vs BVD vs acorns vs Johnes vs ??? the answer is

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Follow up from previous threads regarding bulls losing condition with scours -

One died last night sort of eliminating coronavirus (winter dysentery) since it isn't lethal.

Had the bull posted. Vet said acorn toxicity based on the type and quantity of esophageal lesions, the condition of the rumen (shut down) - though the kidneys didn't appear distressed as he thought they might. Normal death from acorns is a result of renal failure, but he thought the lesions were probably severe enough in his esophagus that he just quit eating. Lungs and heart seemed normal so he ruled out normal contagions playing a factor.

I've run that pasture for years without a problem - people with oak tree pastures beware - it could be a ticking time bomb.

. . . . if that actually WAS the real culprit . . . . .

angus9259":2io332c2 said:
Follow up from previous threads regarding bulls losing condition with scours -

One died last night sort of eliminating coronavirus (winter dysentery) since it isn't lethal.

Had the bull posted. Vet said acorn toxicity based on the type and quantity of esophageal lesions, the condition of the rumen (shut down) - though the kidneys didn't appear distressed as he thought they might. Normal death from acorns is a result of renal failure, but he thought the lesions were probably severe enough in his esophagus that he just quit eating. Lungs and heart seemed normal so he ruled out normal contagions playing a factor.

I've run that pasture for years without a problem - people with oak tree pastures beware - it could be a ticking time bomb.

. . . . if that actually WAS the real culprit . . . . .

that was my thought(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73226)
i had a simular problem on our old place.
i had a pasture that i tried to eliminate the oak shinnery(never killed all of it)
i would supplement them during those times and it seemed to take care of the problem.
glad you found the problem

Latest posts