Cornbread

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
The beans thread got me thinking . Do you like your cornbread sweet and cakelike ? Or , do you like it like god intended cornbread to be like, with a corn flavor and crispy edged ? hehe

Corn flavor (maybe with some jalapeno too) and crispy. Best cornmeal I've found is Lamb's. It's a pretty coarse grind and just meal..no flour, baking powder or anything else added.

i'll take some southern corn bred cooked in a cast iron skillet

Golden brown, with corn and onions in it. Just corn meal, no flower. Baked in a preheated, greased black iron skillet. Now you got me wantin a pot o beans w/ham, rice and a pone of corn bread.

The regular stuff, not sweet. The cast iron skillet needs to have scorching hot grease in it to fry the batter on the bottom when you pour it. Butter. Lots of real butter.

Cornbread - like My Kentucky Grandmother made. First, it can only be baked in a cast iron skillet. Greased with bacon grease. One that has been seasoned and handed down over a couple generations. The bigger the skillet the better. Black as a lump of coal. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

Corn must be ground coarse. Salt, baking soda, maybe an egg or little milk. SUGAR is strictly forbidden. That is not cornbread - it's cake. Keep it simple and get it as brown, almost burnt, as you can.

Jiffy cornbread mix cooked like a cake topped with butter. I eat it as breakfast with my coffee regular. I like fried cornbread but not with my coffee.

True Grit Farms":3pf08g1b said:
Jiffy cornbread mix cooked like a cake topped with butter. I eat it as breakfast with my coffee regular. I like fried cornbread but not with my coffee.

That sounds like eating donuts. Cornbread is an art form.

callmefence":149jd30p said:
I guess it's my biggest shame. My name is fence, I'm from Texas , and I don't care for cornbread......
They still let me carry a gun and vote. But I can never run for governor.
"Off with his head "! Lol, that really does seem strange to me . What I mean is , of course everyone has different tastes , but you form a picture in your mind when you interact with folks on the web, and I just never would have thought you were a commie. insert laughing emoji

snoopdog":c34vuhaf said:
callmefence":c34vuhaf said:
I guess it's my biggest shame. My name is fence, I'm from Texas , and I don't care for cornbread......
They still let me carry a gun and vote. But I can never run for governor.
"Off with his head "! Lol, that really does seem strange to me . What I mean is , of course everyone has different tastes , but you form a picture in your mind when you interact with folks on the web, and I just never would have thought you were a commie. insert laughing emoji
Snoop he probably don't like buttermilk either. lol

Latest posts