cornbread recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred

Reaction score
i'm looking for a cornbread recipe...my grandmother made cornbread kind of thin, crispy and very course...now days all the cornbread i get is like muffin mix..."Cracker Barrell" makes it the way i like it...

My wife has just found some kind of mix that she gets at walmart and it is great.
she says it is cheap and a package makes a small cast iron frying pan just right.
I don't know the brand but I commented on it enough that I get corn bread weekly now.

My MIL makes it thin and crispy. Don't know if this is what you are looking for but here is how she makes it.

2 TBS of corn meal
1/4 tsp of salt
3/4's cup of water

Mix this together and it should look like milk replacer.

Take a #9 cast iron skillet and heat 2 tbs of bacon greese in it until its almost smoking. Agitate skillet to get some of oil on the edges - about 1/2 inch is plenty. Pour mix in center and then turn heat down to about 4 on the range. Watch the edges for doneness. When the edges begin to brown test to see if the cornbread will flip. If so, flip and cook till done.

She also makes a cornmeal prawn that is pretty good too. Texture of a dog bisquit but tasty nonetheless.

This is my Mom's recip 1cup of flour 2 cup's corn meal add milk till semi loose place pan in oven at 400 put a tsp of laurd let the laurd get hot then put mix in pan bake till brown take's 30 min then eat.

rattler