corn vs oats

Help Support CattleToday:

We like to roll oats, but if test weight is low there will be little if any effect on the hull.
Whole oats will put a shine on calves w/o getting them greasy, and any pass thru is the chickens problem.
Why is oats not fed more?

Stocker Steve":2xqiltp1 said:
We like to roll oats, but if test weight is low there will be little if any effect on the hull.
Whole oats will put a shine on calves w/o getting them greasy, and any pass thru is the chickens problem.
Why is oats not fed more?
Cost vs corn usually. Down here they are about twice the cost of corn.

I have two 4-h steers gaining over 3lbs a day on whole corn, protein pellet, and hay. Margonme's steer that we bought is one of them. He weighs 700lbs now, should weigh over 1400 by the first week of August.

When I was a kid, a pretty standard home mixed feed was COB. Corn, oats, and barley. Hadn't seen anybody feed that in a long time. I hate to have a bottle calf, because it means something has gone wrong. When I do, i usually feed crimped oats to the calf, til it's about 300 pounds.

TexasBred":2xkz5eua said:
Stocker Steve")Why is oats not fed more?[/quote:2xkz5eua said:

Most oats in now grown in Canada, but we still produce some here in MN.
Canada had a poor crop last year which has driven up the price.
Traditionally it was grown here in rotation, usually under seeded, and often used as dairy cow feed.
If it is low test weight or weedy or corn is cheap (like 2016) - - then it is hard to sell.
I bought a couple thousand bushels at U$S 1.75 and I am feeding it to my spring calves.

Stocker Steve":2oye5qmd said:
TexasBred":2oye5qmd said:
Stocker Steve")Why is oats not fed more?[/quote:2oye5qmd said:

Most oats in now grown in Canada, but we still produce some here in MN.
Canada had a poor crop last year which has driven up the price.
Traditionally it was grown here in rotation, usually under seeded, and often used as dairy cow feed.
If it is low test weight or weedy or corn is cheap (like 2016) - - then it is hard to sell.
I bought a couple thousand bushels at U$S 1.75 and I am feeding it to my spring calves.
Can't blame you one bit at that price. Good lick !!!!

I have fed whole corn to my feeder calves for years for & have never seen any of it grow unless it was where they dropped while eating. they gain just as good as cracked or ground with out the extra cost.

angus9259":2ldgc2nv said:
TexasBred":2ldgc2nv said:
oats like corn and anything else might show up in the manure but it is simply remains of the hull. Nutrients have been extracted by the digestive system.

So why does so much oats and corn pop up in the spring out of their poop?
I have no idea since I've never had it happen. Now tomato plants, that's a whole different critter.

dun":iq7v90zk said:
angus9259":iq7v90zk said:
TexasBred":iq7v90zk said:
oats like corn and anything else might show up in the manure but it is simply remains of the hull. Nutrients have been extracted by the digestive system.

So why does so much oats and corn pop up in the spring out of their poop?
I have no idea since I've never had it happen. Now tomato plants, that's a whole different critter.
Visit the local sewer plant in mid spring and it's like a farmers market. Every vegetable you can imagine and often a few plants of "Weed". :lol2:

dun":12wm74qk said:
I like the steam cracked corn when soaking it on old milk for feeding hogs.

You ever tried milo? We use to feed feed milo when we had pigs gosh they loved that stuff.

The only whole grain I have ever fed is the oats or milo from hay that was baled without being harvested. I don't go digging in cow pies but I don't notice a lot of grain left over.

Davemk":1xmsjf2s said:
I have two 4-h steers gaining over 3lbs a day on whole corn, protein pellet, and hay. Margonme's steer that we bought is one of them. He weighs 700lbs now, should weigh over 1400 by the first week of August.
What brand/ % of protein pellet do you feed?Where do you buy it?

reeler":1zpcqqml said:
Davemk":1zpcqqml said:

It is a pellet made by Kalmbach Feeds. The pellet is 31% protein and also includes Rumensin 180g/ton. We buy the pellet from Rips Farm Center in Tollesboro, Ky.

Davemk":xm2lnxh2 said:
reeler":xm2lnxh2 said:
Davemk":xm2lnxh2 said:

It is a pellet made by Kalmbach Feeds. The pellet is 31% protein and also includes Rumensin 180g/ton. We buy the pellet from Rips Farm Center in Tollesboro, Ky.
Thanks for your response, & congrats on how well your steers are doing!

Latest posts