corn stubble pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

kopac94

Reaction score
I am considering renting corn stubble pasture this winter and was wondering what kind of value I would get from 40 acres of corn stubble pasture. How many tons of hay will this replace? How many cows will this handle? Maybe some comparisons of what other people do would be helpful. Thanks for any information.

kopac94":2rztwcew said:
I am considering renting corn stubble pasture this winter and was wondering what kind of value I would get from 40 acres of corn stubble pasture. How many tons of hay will this replace? How many cows will this handle? Maybe some comparisons of what other people do would be helpful. Thanks for any information.

Couple of suggestions - Strip graze it with a temp hot wire will get you more use of the residue - remember cows use 1 mouth, but 4 legs plus a manure depositer! Also the value will determine on how good a job they do with corn harvest - how much was left etc. Better use the ground fairly quick, as the residue gets very poor value later and the mud can be an issue in most corn fields in winter. Suggest only Open Cows - but they still will need some supplemental feed fairly quickly into the grazing. Question on how many it will handle - my thoughts are to mazimize the area with as many head as possible for as short a time period as possible, using the hot fence movement daily.

We winter our bred cows on corn fields. we do 1 cow per acre. 2 years ago a storm blew all the corn down so it was hard to combine leaving lots of ears. Last year not much for grain. When you don't see any corn in the manure we take out protien blocks, when they start running out of leaves we feed. Just get them off before thaw or they will pack the ground in places they are fed and stand for protection, makeing replanting very tough. Good luck!