corn screenings

Help Support CattleToday:

farmgardngirl

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much I can feed per 350-400 lb.jersey or jersey x calf? I got free feed, just don't know how much I dare feed. More chaff than corn, but still something to feed besides hay, to cut expenses. Also posted in the new here board.
Thanks much

Calves don't much care for fines. If there is as much chaff and other fines in it as you say, I would question how well the calves would eat it without being hungry first. As far as how much to feed, I won't even guess as screenings are so inconsistent that a general recommendation is tough to give. I understand wanting to cut costs but depending on your hay quality, you have to give the calves enough groceries to go on.

Just give it some and see it it will eat it.

There is no standard for corn fines - all different - going to have to use your "on scene" noggin on this one

[Bez]

Thanks for the replys. I have been giving them a 5 gallon bucket full, between the four, as I figured it would take atleast that much to equal the shelled corn I had given them. They do love it, just wish I knew if I could feed more, as don't know how long I can keep them from molding.

farmgardngirl":10uh0dkg said:
Thanks for the replys. I have been giving them a 5 gallon bucket full, between the four, as I figured it would take atleast that much to equal the shelled corn I had given them. They do love it, just wish I knew if I could feed more, as don't know how long I can keep them from molding.

Weigh your bucket empty and full and see how many POUNDS you are feeding total. Always better to know how many pounds of something you're feeding rather than how many cups or bucketsthey are getting. Some corn screenings are very clean...others very trashy so hard to know exactly how much to feed. Error on the save side and don't overfeed.