CORN PRICE

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
Hey ya'll. haven't posted in a while but had a question.
In Maryland here there is a farmer that is selling this years ear corn by the full size pickup load.
Since I have 2 Herf steers ready to feed i was going to use this and some 14% finishing ration from the local Mill.

I can get the corn for 130 a truckload.
Sounds good is it?
wonder how much It"ll weigh?

Anyway thanks guys.

Bill

Years ago when we had to load a pickup and haul it to the feed mill to grind it I could get 30+- bushel in a long bed pickup. That was by getting up in it and walking it down. At current prices thats not a bad deal,

Neighbor is pricing his Corn(still on the cob) for $4.25 a bushel. I bought a ton of 14% beef mix last week for $190. I believe corn will get cheaper as it appears this corn crop is ranking up there as the best ever and demand has went down (ethanol consumption has went down).

jltrent":12g509f2 said:
Neighbor is pricing his Corn(still on the cob) for $4.25 a bushel. I bought a ton of 14% beef mix last week for $190. I believe corn will get cheaper as it appears this corn crop is ranking up there as the best ever and demand has went down (ethanol consumption has went down).

That's a lot of money to pay for the cob and the shucks.

TexasBred":lisgtus0 said:
jltrent":lisgtus0 said:

Ear corn is a different bushel weight than shelled corn. That makes an allowance for the weight of the cobs.

4.25 is a great price. You figure there is a lot more work in harvesting ear rather than combining 6 rows at a shot. Its a good price as long as its a 70lb bushel. The problem is most guys dont know that a bushel of ear is 70 lbs or worse yet they throw it in a bushel basket which is only like 40 lbs. Just figure the cu ft of your truck bed to the top rail. 2.5 cu ft is a bushel of ear corn.

We sold corn(on the cob) back in the 80's for $3 a bushel (70 lbs. a bushel cob corn, 56 shelled corn). At $4.25 a bushel now, even in a good growing season like this, I don't see a lot of profit. There is a lot to figure in and you have to count your labor as something. The corn crop this year is looking like the peanut crop last year. I expect there will probably be less corn grown another year and maybe more soybeans.

A really good friend of mine went from 600+ cows down to 250. He has been letting somebody tend his ground on the shares. He has been busy seeding fescue behind the corn. It would appear that weaned calves at $900 a piece are more profitable per acre than $4 corn.

mwj":11cso0lp said:
TexasBred":11cso0lp said:
jltrent":11cso0lp said:

Ear corn is a different bushel weight than shelled corn. That makes an allowance for the weight of the cobs.

Still appears very high relative to shelled corn.

Latest posts