corn outlook

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ield-boost

-1x-1.png

I hate to see a commodity get that cheap. May even have a 2 in from of it, by harvest. All most of us feed anymore is a byproduct anyway. I haven't felt like grain prices had much of an influence on cattle prices in a long time. Imports is what is pulling the cattleman down.

Talked with a man down this way the other day. Said he got $3.40 for his corn. Might be lower than that by the time the midwest crop is ready for harvest.

Mid July we could have got 430. Should have known with the rain we were having it wasn't going to last long. Haven't heard in a few days but last I heard was we should see a little sooner bottom around mid to late September. I can't see much less than 3 around here with the river ports and food grade mills.

With the cattle market following the grain it's hard to say. Its such a world market anything can change it.

mncowboy":n88fr065 said:
Gets below $3, it might be cheaper to feed corn than hay?

Been thinking the same. Projefting bumper crop here this year.

bball":2x8l8dtp said:
mncowboy":2x8l8dtp said:

Please don't. You'll have a world of problems. Some corn is good but cattle need roughage good or bad and the bad can be supplemented with some protein.

TexasBred":17d1l3pg said:
bball":17d1l3pg said:
mncowboy":17d1l3pg said:

Please don't. You'll have a world of problems. Some corn is good but cattle need roughage good or bad and the bad can be supplemented with some protein.

I hear you TB. Wasn't thinking exclusively, but part of a balanced ration. If prices hold, it will be cheap enough to do that, which hasn't happened for a while here. Hard to believe corn will be as cheap or cheaper than some of its byproducts... I was thinking maybe 5-6 lbs corn a day with some decent hay, or some corn stalk bales and ddg pellets. Corn goes any lower and it will be cheaper than the pellets.
TB, I will also post that mineral tag on the other link for you to check out.

bball":2o24p222 said:
TexasBred":2o24p222 said:
bball":2o24p222 said:

I hear you TB. Wasn't thinking exclusively, but part of a balanced ration. If prices hold, it will be cheap enough to do that, which hasn't happened for a while here. Hard to believe corn will be as cheap or cheaper than some of its byproducts... I was thinking maybe 5-6 lbs corn a day with some decent hay, or some corn stalk bales and ddg pellets. Corn goes any lower and it will be cheaper than the pellets.
TB, I will also post that mineral tag on the other link for you to check out.
Yessir mixed into a balance ration it may be a great year for feeding corn.

Both really. There has been a lot of good hay to be had for reasonable.

Stocker Steve":12wcv2kw said:
bball":12wcv2kw said:
Both really. There has been a lot of good hay to be had for reasonable.

What do you consider reasonable for hay pricing?

First cutting grass/clover mix has been readily available for $60/ton. Usually see it between $80-$100/ ton. Also picked up some quality baleage(1200# rolls) for $40.

In Central California, Grain Hay is $80/ton, Non Test Alfalfa is around $125/ton.
Meadow Hay in Wyoming is $60-$65/ton.
Northern Nevada Non Test Alfalfa is about $80/ton.

Latest posts