corn gluten

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
i have never fed corn gluten. do you grind the stuff, or can you feed it whole?
any recommendations on amount would be appreciated too.
i am not familiar with the stuff at all.

thanks

jt

There is corn gluten meal which is sky high in protein and is almost always mixed with other stuff to make it more balanced.
CG pellets are lower in protein (I think running it through the press heats it and cooks some of the protein out, just my theory) and it can be fed either by itself or mixed in a ration to increase the protein content. We had palatbility iossues if the CG pellet was approchaing 50% of themix and when we fed it straight. You don;t want to stand behind a cow that's eaten the stuff if she coughs, it's like the spring grass squirts

dun":2nqijkts said:
There is corn gluten meal which is sky high in protein and is almost always mixed with other stuff to make it more balanced.
CG pellets are lower in protein (I think running it through the press heats it and cooks some of the protein out, just my theory) and it can be fed either by itself or mixed in a ration to increase the protein content. We had palatbility iossues if the CG pellet was approchaing 50% of themix and when we fed it straight. You don;t want to stand behind a cow that's eaten the stuff if she coughs, it's like the spring grass squirts

Amen Brutha... :lol:

Some folks down here feed a 50:50 mix of Corn gluten feed and soyhulls. Seems to work well for them. Makes the protein level a bit high but good energy and hi quality fiber source.

One other thing that CG is good for is as a pre-emergent herbicide. Don;t know why but it works

The mix that we use is about 40% CG, 30% soybean hulls and 30% whole corn. They won't hardly eat the CG pellets by themselves - I can't blame 'em, it doesn't smell too good.

i've fed it mixed with soybean hull pellets and wheat mids for three years now. right now i'm feeding sb hulls (pellets) and corn gluten (pellets) 50/50 and they love it. i feed it to cows and calves, its about 14 % protein. the last load i got, it was $9.45 a hundred picked up in bulk.
i wouldn't be afraid to feed it by itself, but i think its better to add the sb hull pellets to make a more complete feed ration.
lots of folks around here feed the 3 way mix and some feed straight sb hull pellets

I'm feeding steers on 50-50 gluten pellets and cracked corn. Gluten pellets are the cheapest protein I can get right now. To early to know? I got to give it a couple months.

Latest posts