Corn Gluten and Big Foals

Help Support CattleToday:

jnowack

Reaction score
We had some bad luck with big foals this year. At first we suspected fescue but our vet said he had seen some problems with bred mares on corn gluten. Has anyone else heard of this? I couldn't find any related info on the web.

corn gluten is new to me, what is it exactly, grain, oil, supplement?

Thanks,
Alan

It probably does not matter that it was corn gluten or not but more importantly that you have fed too high of energy that may have got the mare too fat or made the foal grow too big. Also was the stallion real large framed and the mare real small. Horses need to be on a little lower protein and energy ration than cattle to avoid problems, especially after the foal is is born and they can grow too fast and have tendon and ligament problems.

Not knowing what corn gluten is I can't help with the question, but to give an opinion on feeding a foal and preg mare. They do need a good source of protien and vits. I give mine a 16% protien grain and very good quaility hay with vits and supps. Probably not a high and some of the 24% cattle licks. You do not want to over due a foal, all the high quality hay they want a reasonable amount of 16% grain until 10 to 12 months then down to a 12 or 14 %. You do not want them to grow too fast.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":3459l9w7 said:
corn gluten is new to me, what is it exactly, grain, oil, supplement?

Thanks,
Alan

Corn Gluten is a corn by-product. I use it as a protien supplement. What I use is dry and pelleted but it can be fed wet.
It is processed wet.

thanks

jnowack

hayray":2g2rtrgo said:
It probably does not matter that it was corn gluten or not but more importantly that you have fed too high of energy that may have got the mare too fat or made the foal grow too big. Also was the stallion real large framed and the mare real small. Horses need to be on a little lower protein and energy ration than cattle to avoid problems, especially after the foal is is born and they can grow too fast and have tendon and ligament problems.

The mares were not fat but were in good condition. I did not think I was feeding enough to cause problems. The stallion is only about 14.2 hands and built nice but not super stout. One mare is 14.3 and really stout. The other was about 16 hands and medium and pretty stout made.

thanks

jnowack

Latest posts