Corn field pictures May 10 2007

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
DSC00059.JPG

DSC00058.JPG

alabama":2v5hwfda said:
no hogs and no rain.

I thought you got more rain than we do in LA each year. I know most times the rain seems to run south west to north east in a line from Mobile to Auburn and we miss out all the time it seems. I call the Wiregrass the Tri-State DESERT Triangle

I will have to find hay in the panhandle of Florida this year, no one is selling any around here.

We got enough rain to go around. We not quite half done with planting corn. Seems that every time it gets about dry enough to get back in the fields, here comes the storm clouds.

We have most of the corn planted, and some coming up. Early for us. But it's very dry. AGAIN. :mad:

Alabama normally gets 5 inches (or more) of rain in the month of May. HERE, we got an inch and a half yesterday. That is the first time I have registered anything since the middle of April. A dryer than normal May, after a dryer than normal April, after a dryer than normal March, after a dryer than normal winter CAN be a bad situation. I think I got enough yesterday to replant the sucky garden disaster.

I'd post a pic of our corn field but its only an acre and hasn't been planted yet...just now getting overnight temps above the 30s. Expect to get the first plot planted next week. Dmc

In this area Ive seen some of the corn growing over 4 feet high already. Still nice and green. Last year everything was already turning brown from no rain by this time. Hopefully the rain will keep up enough to keep things growing.

A couple questions for those who grow crops in addition to cattle. How many acres do you plant? Do yall own a combine or hire someone to harvest?

TxCoUnTrYbOy":37np2gub said:
In this area Ive seen some of the corn growing over 4 feet high already. Still nice and green. Last year everything was already turning brown from no rain by this time. Hopefully the rain will keep up enough to keep things growing.

A couple questions for those who grow crops in addition to cattle. How many acres do you plant? Do yall own a combine or hire someone to harvest?
yeah hope the rains keeps up here too.

well we dont got alot of cattle yet, but just enough that its starting to clash with the farming and my dads seed business.
my dad farms over 400 acres. i know its not much but between that and a seed business it gets pretty hectic. he has all the equipment. i wish he would hire cuz he would have more time but i guess thats why he had me. :p

My dad and I farm about 550 acres of corn, beans, and wheat. We do all the work ourselves besides the spraying. We both work 40+ hours off the farm, so between the crops and the cattle, we stay fairly busy.

C HOLLAND":2kex304h said:
I will have to find hay in the panhandle of Florida this year, no one is selling any around here.
My part of the panhandle is in pretty bad shape as well, all the rain has been going north of us. I drove through Troy and Enterprise the other day and it looked like they were getting alot more hay from their fields than ours, but I could be mistaken.

alabama":h2zz6xqx said:
I priced cow hay today and the cost was $85 a roll. that is if you can find it.
Hay around my house is about 30 per roll. What part of Alabama are you located?

you fellers in south alabama may have too come up these way to get it cheaper if you can get enough volume to make it worth the trip. my neighbor is laying mine down right now.

denoginnizer":za2euf6p said:
alabama":za2euf6p said:
I priced cow hay today and the cost was $85 a roll. that is if you can find it.
Hay around my house is about 30 per roll. What part of Alabama are you located?

You got that right. Trucking will be worth the cost. If i don't get a few rains this summer i will be looking for some in the fall.

Latest posts