Corn Field Fire

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
The neighbor is shelling corn and something caught the field on fire. There must have been 10 pieces of equipment there pretty quick and they kept it to about 3 acres burned.
We are <<really>> dry and it is likely there will be more of these fires.

I'd rather have rain longly, but thanks for the thought. :)
I went back again and the fire I thought was out got quite a few more acres. Maybe 20-25. The owner had two 4 wd's with 40 foot discs in there to keep it from spreading further.
On another note, there is so much dust in the air that allergies are epidemic. Everyone I talk to feels like the south end of a northbound horse. Corn and bean harvest is getting started, and that puts enormous amounts of dust into the air. If a cow is moving, the dust is rolling. It's also ragweed season.
There is a small chance of rain tomorrow. I'm thinking about cutting hay.

Yeah you gotta watch them things in dry conditions.

Had a lighting fire start south of us a few years ago. We ended up on a call to it re-igniting every day for 4 days. Wind kept switching.
County road grader had even did a fire line the burn 3 times.

Finally did a soak down. Had a grader and 6 fire trucks and 3 tenders. We poured water on that edge until the thing ran mud. Never restarted after that.

We are very dry worst drought i have ever seen in 30 yrs of farming anyway there is some idiot or idiots that are starting fires about twice a week for a month now burnt 20 of neighbours bales last week and a ball diamond 1 mile away from my house and 1/3 ac of my hayland thank god we have a very good volentier fire dept they are very busy but have saved lots of hay as we have very little.The RCMP are patroling but too much area and personaly i think it is people on quads as the major of fires have been along abanden railway bed. Dont know what kind of person gets their jollies keeping whole county on edge when everyone is haveing such bad time just coping with drought.

I saw a corn field burning last Saturday, and heard reports of another this week. Fortunately both were being harvested so they could cut a fire break quickly in both cases.

One of my most vivid memories of my childhood is going by a friend's place whose corn field was burning. Unbelievable how quickly it can burn. He was driving his 4000 Ford with a 3-bottom plow trying to plow a break into it. Black smoke rolling out of the tractor as he ran it wide-open trying to save his entire crop. Had it jump two breaks, but stopped it on the third. His wife was on an 8N with a bushhog mowing around the barns trying to keep the fire from them. They wound up saving the barns and some of the corn. Lost most of the fence posts. It was probably the first time I was ever around such an intense situation. Rough deal for a guy who worked full time on 3rd shift, and raised hogs, cattle and corn on the side.

I have never seen it this dry. It was very wet through mid-July, then stopped completely. Nothing more than a few drizzles since then. Several times we've had rain move close enough we could see the clouds but didn't get a drop. Did that all day last weekend. Beans are going to be short as they never filled out. A normal June and July would have made this a nightmare. I've already decided that if we don't have rain by 6pm Saturday I'll be putting out hay. Closed gates to keep the cows off of some pasture, and I'll probably have to replant what they are on. I hope I can just drill some seed into it to refresh it. "Luckily" I had several unexpected culls at weaning that left me short on cows. I put the forks on the loader last weekend to encourage rain.

tamarack you just cannot get into the minds of those type of people. Had one come through our area and light 13 fires. Everyone was jumping and running in different directions. Had a plane go up to spot him. Sheriff's department caught him. When it was announced over the radio that they caught him, someone said to get a rope.

Hope they catch this criminal soon.

tamarack":2stz0808 said:
The RCMP are patroling but too much area and personaly i think it is people on quads as the major of fires have been along abanden railway bed. Dont know what kind of person gets their jollies keeping whole county on edge when everyone is haveing such bad time just coping with drought.

We had a problem with that several years ago also. The state had a plane up with infared radar and they came so close to catching the dirtbag. I guess it scared him bad enough because that was the last fire that he set. Come to think of it, maybe they did catch him and did the ole SSS trick on him and that's why our rash of fires stopped.