Corn Feed Rate?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I have a group of yearling bulls that normally just get 2nd or 3rd cut hay to keep them coming along over the winter to be ready to breed by spring. I have some shelled corn here and am running out of softer hay. I'm going to start giving them first cut grass and some shelled corn - 5 # per head per day? Can you start them up at 5# or do you need to start slower? Can you give them the 5# in one feeding or need to split up?

Thx.

You can start them at up to 1/3 of the ration as corn and 2/3 forage without creating any metabolic problems.

To adjust cattle to a high grain ration in 6 weeks:
7 days at 1/3
then
50% for 7 days
2/3 for 7 days
3/4 for 7 days
80% for 7 days
85% for 7 days
90% until finished

Son of Butch":ea37nqbz said:
You can start them at up to 1/3 of the ration as corn and 2/3 forage without creating any metabolic problems.

7 days at 1/3
then
50% for 7 days
2/3 for 7 days
3/4 for 7 days
80% for 7 days
85% for 7 days
90% until finished

Good tip. Thanks. Seems like that's pretty hot for corn - or maybe I'm just overly acidosis averse :).

angus9259":3nwbhw38 said:
Son of Butch":3nwbhw38 said:

7 days at 1/3
then
50% for 7 days
2/3 for 7 days
3/4 for 7 days
80% for 7 days
85% for 7 days
90% until finished

Good tip. Thanks. Seems like that's pretty hot for corn - or maybe I'm just overly acidosis averse :).

I can't blame you a bit. I'm the same way. I'd never go over bout 60% grain in any ration I was feeding and even less than that for a "grower ration". Too many bad things can happen from a poorly balanced ration especially if it is excessive in grain. We're growing potential herd siress here, not slaughter steers.