Corn crop/ cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

If demand for consumer beef stays strong I don't think it will affect it at all. In north Missouri we will have a good corn and bean crop

denoginnizer":pvl5na9b said:
What effect will a bad corn crop have on the prices of calves?

as feed (corn) prices increase, the price you get for your calves will decrease.. i guess there could be exceptions, but this is the general rule.

jmo

jt

The feedlots will calculate their cost of gain (which is greatly influenced by corn prices) when they determine how much then can spend on feeders.

Part of the reason last year was so good for calves was the way corn prices dropped.

Stocker Steve":1nk1quy5 said:
Part of the reason last year was so good for calves was the way corn prices dropped.

Gee, I thought it was all because the border was closed!

dun

I've always gotten a kick of the differences in the USDA corn/crop forecast and the private crop reporting services. Some seasons it's seemed the big feed companies use the private sector, to justify higher prices for feed. This IMO, will be one of those years.Even though some areas have not had a good crop,other areas have made up for it.

You can not blame all the market variation on goverment announcements and border crossing regulations... although they do seem to try to make life difficult at times. :(

alot of what the feedlot does depends on how empty they get.if they watch the corn prices to long . thus getting to low on cattle. they will be forced to buy so meny to fill some pens. but if corn goes to high they will hold off buying as long as they can. scott

All things remaining constant for ever dollar that a bushel of corn goes up it reduces the value of a four weight calf about $75 dollars considering a 5 to 1 feed lot effeciency.

Generally, for each $.10 per bushel advance in corn prices the price of feeders and calves will adjust downward by $4.00 per head all other factors being equal.