Cordless weedtrimmer and other tools

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
My 18 volt dewalt set is about junk. So I need to update them. Wife wants a cordless weed trimmer and leaf blower she can run. Any brands or battery size to get? I need drill, impact driver, cordless chainsaw would be alright to for little limbs and stuff around the house. Seen this ad on Facebook dont know anything about them.

https://www.greenworkstools.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Home-FB-ROF

My mom bought one of the little Worx trimmers a couple years ago. Works good for what it is. She is getting older and has a hard time with gas trimmers, plus all the hassle of keeping them running.

Obviously you would not want one for clearing a grown up road ditch, but for trimming around the house and stuff they work pretty well.

On those you usually get what you pay for. The most important thing are the batteries. Low quality off brand aftermarket batteries don't last. I bought an aftermarket battery for my Milwaukee torque wrench. The third charge and it was history. I will stick with name brand.

I use a similar cheap (Chinese) range of power tools that we have here. They are bluddy handy and have been very reliable. They get trashed in the back of the truck, the batteries last very well both in the time of use with each charge and in their longevity. The chainsaw is very handy to keep in the back of the truck to cut branches that fall over fences and across tracks. The drill has lots of torque to run a 3/4" auger to drill through our hardwood fence posts of pretty big diameter. They are certainly not Milwaukie standard but are a fraction of the price and do every job I ask of them reliably.

Ken

Well, I would not bother unless it takes normal standard size trimmer cord.

Some tools are just not worth playing with, I would suggest honda 4 stroke for such a task & around a normal home will prob last 30 years.....I just replaced one after 20 years and it was given hell, was always easy to start. Cord lasts a long time. Can put blades on it etc too.

Bought an 18v one cause the boss wanted to play around, well the darn thing eats through the thin cord, and in 2 weeks buying the spools it cost a lot, in 2 years it would have cost more than the honda, then I have to also charge battery, so I took it back and said I am the one to do edges :) Not only that but buy in was 50% of honda, and only considered it cause already have the chargers and other batteries.

Drills, prunig etc will be fine with cheap brands as well as with the dearer ones, I have 3 diff systems, pro, semi pro and very budget, there is pluses and minuses too each one, I have recip saw in the very cheap and the pro, both would prune, the pro one would cut a car in two as well :)

Milwaukee. Watch this video vs gas saw. Short and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ya3usmUUTA0

I would not have believed it without using them but the Bauer tools are beyond good and the batteries last longer than anything else (3 other brands) that I ever owned. My brother says the same.

JMJ Farms said:
Milwaukee. Watch this video vs gas saw. Short and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

The Husky sure seems to be throwing a lot more dust around. I think the chain was a little dull.

Now way that thing would beat a properly tuned up and sharp 60cc gas saw.

Atimm693 said:
JMJ Farms said:

The Husky sure seems to be throwing a lot more dust around. I think the chain was a little dull.

Yea, that is the old "making the stats what you need them to be" game.

dvcochran said:
Atimm693 said:
JMJ Farms said:

That may very well be the case. As far as I know the video is by an unbiased reviewer, not Milwaukee. But either way it's pretty impressive for a battery powered saw if you ask me. And unless you use one weekly, it's a very viable alternative for most consumers bc it cranks every time.

I have one of these battery powered torque wrenches and it either removes the lug nut or will twist the whole lug off. Pretty much makes obsolete carry around the air line.

1400 lbs. torque.........very impressive.

https://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-2767-21b.html/

milwaukee-2767-20-1.jpg

That battery powered saws does look good, but I believe I could make it look bad cutting.

JMJ Farms said:
dvcochran said:
Atimm693 said:

That may very well be the case. As far as I know the video is by an unbiased reviewer, not Milwaukee. But either way it's pretty impressive for a battery powered saw if you ask me. And unless you use one weekly, it's a very viable alternative for most consumers bc it cranks every time.

That's fair. I was not trying to detract from the Milwaukee, it is very impressive. I just thought the comparison was a little far fetched.

The only truly unbiased channel that I know of is AvE. Most of the others are sponsored (even if they are not getting paid for the review, if they did not purchase the item, it is technically sponsorship.)

I am hooked on these power tools. My husband is a plumber and started with the little makita drills.
Thru the years his collection upgraded to the Milwaukee 18v tools he has today. I tried the Greenworks 40v pole saw and then started my collection of yard tools. I have the 12" and 2 16" chainsaws, string trimmer, hedge trimmer and lawnmower. The only one I wouldn't re buy is the 12" saw....just too slow rpms.
So last week dh asked me to order the Milwaukee 16" saw for him. It seems to be a nice saw, heavier than my greenworks. We will never replace the stihl gas saws but for keeping in the back of the Ranger for trail maintence they are wonderful.

A few months ago I bought a Craftsman pole saw at Lowe's. The battery lasts longer than I do. My son bought a Craftsman battery powered string trimmer for his yard, and he likes it. It came with a smaller battery than the pole saw, but the larger battery works in it also.

jltrent said:
I have one of these battery powered torque wrenches and it either removes the lug nut or will twist the whole lug off. Pretty much makes obsolete carry around the air line.

1400 lbs. torque.........very impressive.

https://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-2767-21b.html/

milwaukee-2767-20-1.jpg

My wife got me one of these for my birthday back in June. To date, I've changed over 40 tires with it (most 8 lug) and used it to put a clutch in a tractor last week, including taking the loader brackets off. The amazing part is I've yet to have to recharge the battery, other than the initial charge after buying it. I wouldn't believe that if I didn't see it myself.

Latest posts