Copyright

Help Support CattleToday:

This may be the beginning to having to sign licensing agreements for cattle genetics much like what is now necessary to purchase Roundup Ready Soybeans.

I would assume somebody who makes comments about "multipliers" and "Anyone can sort. Very few really breed" would realize licensing agreements are nothing new. Try buying a bull or semen from the top end of the Brahman breed.

Third Row":35dugy7l said:
This may be the beginning to having to sign licensing agreements for cattle genetics much like what is now necessary to purchase Roundup Ready Soybeans.

I would assume somebody who makes comments about "multipliers" and "Anyone can sort. Very few really breed" would realize licensing agreements are nothing new. Try buying a bull or semen from the top end of the Brahman breed.

Thank you, Third Row. I have not followed the Brahman cattle. Perhaps there are some that are already doing this that I can learn from.

GRTiger85":rw4n46gb said:
He'd lose a few lbs but wouldnt look too bad. The genetics behind him are pretty good (OCC). Kmac's bull looks good for always being with cows, same background(OCC).

But he is a seman bull so all the work he has done is on a dummy cow. So once he gets to pasture I bet he would start to shedding pounds.

sim.-ang.king":1l8f4wfp said:
GRTiger85":1l8f4wfp said:
He'd lose a few lbs but wouldnt look too bad. The genetics behind him are pretty good (OCC). Kmac's bull looks good for always being with cows, same background(OCC).

But he is a seman bull so all the work he has done is on a dummy cow. So once he gets to pasture I bet he would start to shedding pounds.

Actually, if you go to Apex Cattle Co.'s web-site, they have some heifers for sale that are listed as being "pasture exposed" to Copyright. Now, that pasture could be a two acre lot, I guess. I agree that the bull would probably do OK in the pasture - providing that they hadn't ruined him by keeping him in "showsteer fitted" condition for too long.

George

They don't want him to be with more than a couple of heifers because that cuts down on seman production.
They get more money with him by selling 20 straws each time the collect seman than with breeding a heifer.

sim.-ang.king":1sljn7t5 said:
I would never put him on a 40 acre pasture.

20 straws x $25= $500 for one time. Thats big bucks

I would think they are getting more straws than that per collection.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Copyright
by ga.prime on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 am

If I had 50k invested in that bull, he wouldn't be breeding anything. He'd just be filling up straws.
I agree on this 100%

Circle H Ranch

Julian":20zkus7j said:
sim.-ang.king":20zkus7j said:

If they only get 20 straws he ain't getting the job done!!

L
40-4171":ebc4bwek said:
Julian":ebc4bwek said:
sim.-ang.king":ebc4bwek said:

If they only get 20 straws he ain't getting the job done!!

The Gelbvieh bull Governor was known to produce over 300 per collection session.

Ours did 210 when we collected him.

I haven't looked at that copyright bull at all, but I was told some time ago that that bw number was a simmental number, I would expect his angus number to be around 0 or a little above.

alacattleman":19op4ida said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zUW8Kz0wY.... hard not to admire these cattle, i dont care who you are

Rumor has it that those cows have a "little" more to eat than just grass. Did anyone else notice how all the cows were nicely clipped and their tails have also been clipped?

The Gelbvieh bull Governor was known to produce over 300 per collection session

We just had one of ours collected and he had over 500 straws first go round. This was after breeding 40 + cows all summer. The collection people could not believe it.