Cops, most are a waste of space and uniform

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

Reaction score
Okay, I figured that would get some attention. Here's a few of the incidents that has happened in my town over the past year. A week ago 2 cops were involved Ina car chase, they forced the car into a ditch. The suspect stepped out of the car and the cops fired four times. According to the police report the "female" suspect had a gun. The "female" suspect was later identified a male by other cops who came to the scene. Well the shooting took place next to a golf course, now there are several witness speaking to the media, all claim the same thing, car went into a ditch, suspect got out put one arm up in the air, cops just opened up on him. According to the witnesses when the cops realized people on the golf course were watching they started shouting at the dead man to drop his weapon. This was several seconds after the shots were fired. He wasn't a cross dresser and he shouldn't have ran from the cops, he got out of the car and put one hand up. We don't know if he was able to put the other arm up after the crash. The cops couldn't tell that the suspect was a male.

About a year ago city cops tased a 16 yr old deaf boy in the back, the kid ended up going unconscience and spent a week in ICU. The cops thought he was another person they were looking for and tased the deaf boy because he continued from them after they yelled several times to stop. The boy never knew they were behind him.

Years ago my wife took me to the airport, when she returned home someone had broke into our home. She called 911 after she got in her car and drove to the neighbors. Sherriff called back and informed her he was at least an 1/2 hour away. He then asked her to go into the house and check in closets and under beds for any suspects. :roll: That still lights my fire.

My question is these types of things seem to happen to often. What do law inforcment officers need to get to be able to have better common sense and get back to protect and serve. I know some will say it's a thank less job, but no one forces them to become cops. I agree they are needed, they need better training? Better screening? What?

Just a rant and my :2cents:

Definitely better screening. Got a few cops in my family and good family friends that are. Some join for a sense of power and as long as they behave so long, most of the time that they mess up they turn a blind eye to it. By that time they are usually good friends and no one wants to hurt their feelings or they don't want to make that police force look bad.

FarmGirl10":2yuunayp said:
Definitely better screening. Got a few cops in my family and good family friends that are. Some join for a sense of power and as long as they behave so long, most of the time that they mess up they turn a blind eye to it. By that time they are usually good friends and no one wants to hurt their feelings or they don't want to make that police force look bad.

The screening process is silly... physical agility, written test, panel interview, polygraph test, psychological test, final interview... goint through all of that is enough to make anyone crazy. I personally think they look for people that have never did anything wrong and lived there life like a robot and get power and loose there mind. I honestly do not know the answer to what anyone can do to prevent these kinds of things but they are horrible. that being said i have alot of officers/ troopers that are great friends one in which I shared a story of him getting killed in the line of duty in march. I think they all should revamp the testing steps personally I think you should be 30 + to be a police officer. I have had more issues with younger officers than the older ones cause the younger ones are just out to make a name and prove themselves. :2cents:

i think slick is a ex cop... yall dont say to much bad about em.. they aint all bad...... but! theres a few i wouldnt trust in a sht house, wearing a muzzle :cowboy:

I suspect the same could be said for farmers, ranchers, doctors, etc. The issue is that we would never hear about the others on ther news. Cops are news.

melking":tyc5w9cf said:
I suspect the same could be said for farmers, ranchers, doctors, etc. The issue is that we would never hear about the others on ther news. Cops are news.
bad cops are news, and there now seems to be a never ending supply of them. For the first 30 or so years of my life, all ya heard were the good cop stories. There's 2 sides to every story tho, and now, we are (finally) hearing the other side as well as the good side. That silent blue line has been penetrated by the internet and hand held video and still photography and people aren't afraid to use those devices any more.

Alan's assessment is spot on from where I live.

skyhightree1":cwrrutb7 said:
The screening process is silly... physical agility, written test, panel interview, polygraph test, psychological test, final interview... going through all of that is enough to make anyone crazy.

After 20 years they earn a whopping $40K annually. :roll: :roll: Thankless job. I don't look forward to talking to them.

You want better cops, provide better pay.

Military pay aint good either.

You always have one or two folks with a desire to be controlling. Screen them out.

backhoeboogie":1b0chxtl said:
skyhightree1":1b0chxtl said:
The screening process is silly... physical agility, written test, panel interview, polygraph test, psychological test, final interview... going through all of that is enough to make anyone crazy.

After 20 years they earn a whopping $40K annually. :roll: :roll: Thankless job. I don't look forward to talking to them.

You always have one or two folks with a desire to be controlling. Screen them out.

I completely agree.. You do get what you pay for.. they have such stringent standards the pay should be greater...

There is bad people in every field. I have two friends that are law enforcement officers. They are good guys. Fortunately, most of us don't have to make split second decisions that involves the taking or saving of a life. I would also think that dealing with the negative day in and day out would change a person. Both of them are very protective of their children. They tell me I have no idea what kind of meanness exist around me all the time. I'm sure that's true.

TennesseeTuxedo":kl4utbsa said:
"Most"?

Painting with a pretty broad brush today aren't we?

No, maybe even too narrow. My wife and I own a business in town and deal with local,county and state police from time to time. I can count the number of them I respect as honest "good" cops on two fingers.

I know there is ex cops here and hope they respond ...... I would hate to have to be a cop and make the decisions they have to make sometimes. But if you decide to be a cop be ready to make the right decision and be ready to die just as our military does. A lot are in it for the power trip.

Alan

From where I sit everyone in N.W. Oregon is jackass wanna be cattleman. Well maybe I should narrow that down a bit and just say Everyone in NW Oregon named Alan is a Jackass. I dont want to be to broad or over reaching in my assessment of people from NW Oregon.

Alan, I can tell you this. If they used there polygraph test to ask questions like ... are you in this to have the power ? do you particularly hate one group of people ? are you sexist ? questions like that ... I guarantee you there will be alot less police. I guess nows the time I could chime in and speak up I volunteered as a auxillary police officer which means I DID NOT GET PAID it was a voluntary position that held same powers as the paid officers. The crap you go through is quite frankly ridiculous and it is a good brotherhood but like everyone said you have good and bad but if there going to use the tools to pick people use them the right way and ask the right questions. but as was previous stated we have good and bad in every field and I sure am thankful to have the good honest ones out there protecting me and my family everyday as a career that truly is thankless.

3MileRanch":2lfgyilx said:
From where I sit everyone in N.W. Oregon is jackass wanna be cattleman. Well maybe I should narrow that down a bit and just say Everyone in NW Oregon named Alan is a Jackass. I dont want to be to broad or over reaching in my assessment of people from NW Oregon.

Well it's hard to argue with your well thought out argument! :mrgreen: Would you care to join the conversation by stating why I'm a "jackass" with my point of view or do you and whoever you and your 24 post are just want to throw rocks from the shadows? Where are you from?

I would love to hear why cops don't need more training, better screening and two good points brought up was better pay and over 30.

Alan

backhoeboogie":1ng37mds said:
[

I don't know about where you live but cops here make a heck of a lot more than $40K. At twenty years you can probably double that figure. With full benefits and a pretty good retirement at 30 years. My brother has been a cop in Seattle for over 30 years. In 30 plus years he has only pulled his gun out of the holster one time. And then he never fired or even pointed it at anyone. He said things were getting testy. He pulled his pistol but kept it hid behind his leg and moved slightly so as to have some cover behind a light pole. Way too many cops take this everyone is out to get them on their dangerous job way to seriously. The truth is on a list of dangerous jobs in this country being a cop is way down the list. Even taxi cab drivers are more likely to get killed on the job than a cop.

There are good cops out there but I know from talking to my brother that blue line sure protects each other before they protect the public.

skyhightree1":qnrc7d0y said:
Alan, I can tell you this. If they used there polygraph test to ask questions like ... are you in this to have the power ? do you particularly hate one group of people ? are you sexist ? questions like that ... I guarantee you there will be alot less police. I guess nows the time I could chime in and speak up I volunteered as a auxillary police officer which means I DID NOT GET PAID it was a voluntary position that held same powers as the paid officers. The crap you go through is quite frankly ridiculous and it is a good brotherhood but like everyone said you have good and bad but if there going to use the tools to pick people use them the right way and ask the right questions. but as was previous stated we have good and bad in every field and I sure am thankful to have the good honest ones out there protecting me and my family everyday as a career that truly is thankless.

I agree 100% with the polygraph and the needed questions. Good post and thank you for your service. So far a good conversation.

Alan":1pjgqc7l said:
3MileRanch":1pjgqc7l said:

Well it's hard to argue with your well thought out argument! :mrgreen: Would you care to join the conversation by stating why I'm a "jackass" with my point of view or do you and whoever you and your 24 post are just want to throw rocks from the shadows? Where are you from?

I would love to hear why cops don't need more training, better screening and two good points brought up was better pay and over 30.

Alan

now now fellas dont make me site yall with 18.2-415 " Disorderly conduct " :lol: :lol:

skyhightree1":3n8mnl5i said:
Alan":3n8mnl5i said:
3MileRanch":3n8mnl5i said:

Alan

now now fellas dont make me site yall with 18.2-415 " Disorderly conduct " :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Thank you Alan,
I was never a full time paid officer but I had a experience with a good officer when I was in school we wrote letters to people to ask about there profession and I got a letter back from a police officer and kept in touch with him till I was grown and then took administration of justice classes to get a degree to be a police officer. I always wanted to do that job and farm. I also wanted to work for myself and do tree service landscaping and land clearing. I figured out how to do the farming and my business but didn't have the time for police work so I found a way to volunteer and do something I always wanted to do. It just so happens my true love " Farming " and what was paying my bills really well " My business " kept me occupied. I am not a police officer honestly full time due to the $ aspect and my kids. I wanted to be there for my kids to grow up and i truly thank the men and women that have kids that still serve and especially those that have gave there lives for us.

I was raised to respect the law and to answer people in authority with a "yes sir or no sir" (mam when addressing a woman) and through the years I've had my share of contact with law enforcement. I wasn't a wallflower as a youth and unfortunately my kids followed in my footsteps so I've dealt with the police from several different perspectives. I've never been mistreated nor abused in any way (there were times I would have deserved it if I had been) so I guess I was just lucky.

I have no problem with the law enforcement officers in my neck of the woods. Tough job, I couldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts