Copperheads

Help Support CattleToday:

That is a bigun. In the early 80s, I lived in a shack, and was putting down some plywood flooring after work, a sheet at a time, and pitching the old sheets out the back door. Weekend came, about this time of year and I went to haul it off, so being diligent I raised the last sheet ever so slightly, and there were three and a bunch of babies!! Got the shotgun and blasted them suckers all over the yard. Another time I opened a cupboard, same shack, at about eye level and was staring at one staring at me. One got in my moms garden shoes she left on the porch and when she went to put them on , he bit her, only got her with one fang but her ankle was swole for 6 weeks. Hospital kept her overnight, but only gave her a tetanus shot.

I mentioned something about snakes one time to a Chinese man that used to do my hair, his eye light up he got all excited. He said you have snakes? I buy snake from you. He ate them as a child back in China swore they were delicious. He would tell stories of being in China and when he move here it was well worth him doing my hair just for his stories. Occasionally, he would say a word or few I would think he was saying something dirty. It wasn't he didn't speak good English just more his accent. Sometimes it would take me a minute to figure out what he was talking about. I knew he very proper wouldn't actually say anything dirty to any customers if anybody.

I have a friend who ate snake somewhere with her church youth group when she was younger. She said it was actually pretty good. More when of them things at that age dare you to try it she did and was like oh wow this is good.

It's back!! Well, what's left of it, probably about a 3" chunk. Either it fell out of the tree or one of the dang garage cats climbed up & got it. They've been taking turns eating on it. So gross! And presumably won't hurt them - they eat garter & smaller snakes all the time.

@Dave, I'm over this rotten hot summer! Looking forward to cooler temps - and no snakes, chiggers, wasps, etc.

Yikes!! I'm pretty diligent about keeping an eye out for snakes while I'm in the pastures and I always wear boots & jeans. But I wasn't expecting a copperhead in the garage this morning. And it's a big 'un! I flushed it out of its hiding spot & my husband did a little head action with a cement scraper. Its now hanging in a tree for the buzzards to enjoy. And PSA for those of you that live in copperhead territory: it's baby copperhead season and those little buggers can pack a punch. Watch your step & anything you pick up!
I just relocate them away from people. They're just hunting rats and mice. I never have seen them aggressive or strike at me. I believe they have a right to live in this world too.

I just relocate them away from people. They're just hunting rats and mice. I never have seen them aggressive or strike at me. I believe they have a right to live in this world too.
They're very aggressive in/around the watershed lake, which is where we generally see them (usually while fishing). And where my cattle spend a lot of time. I almost always leave snakes alone, but not when a poisonous one is in my garage around my cats & dog - and me.

Where are you located cgmccary? Copperheads aren't as quick on the draw as cotton mouths but I still wouldn't want one close to the house or barn.

I had a striped rat snake stay on top of my electric box for a couple of years. He would make me jump every time I turned the power on in the shop. I finally took a big wrench to him. I was tired of jumping. A few weeks later a stay cat came up and stayed for the next 10 years. She had 5 or 6 little ones over the years. Did not have any moe mice pr snake problems..

No copperheads here but there are plenty of rattle snakes. I kill everyone I can. I have never had one try to bite me but there are enough dogs, calves, and horses get bit in the neighborhood that I don't want the around. The one I kill wont bite me but neither will its grandson. There is no shortage of non-poisonous bull snakes to take their place.

Latest posts