Copper thieves

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I rode with a fellow today that was intersted in renting his pasture and shop. When we got to the shop discovered that the lock on the back had been cut. All the conduit had been ripped out and the wire was stolen.Lights all busted out Thet stoled a big cat engine his refrig and all the steel grating off the floors. Interestingly, they had left a toolbox with there tools in it.
Also saw on the news last night that 208 cattle had been reported stolen this year in alabama.Many of the cattle have been stolen at night from the stockyards. It has gotten terrible around here. there are more farmers that have had stuff stolen from than there are that havent.

They've been stripping the wire out of wharehouses here. One culprit was found standing with a pair of metal bolt cutters by the 3 phase junction box - fried.

I have heard of people cutting refrigerant pipes off of air conditioning equipment in this area. I work during the day as a pipefitter. Every morning, the warehouse guys at the shop walk the fence and look for/fix new holes people have cut trying to get in to steal copper pipe.

Jogeephus":2oe3473e said:
They've been stripping the wire out of wharehouses here. One culprit was found standing with a pair of metal bolt cutters by the 3 phase junction box - fried.
We had one of those around here . He tried to climb a pole and cut the high tension wires .Yep thats right, he got a 7200 volt surprise .

It's getting worse around here too, theiving that is .They want to say it's because there is no work, nonesense, theres plenty of work they would just rather steal than do it .

Larry

When there's a theft of, say a roll of copper, the recycling center holds it for 48hrs. Then they pay for it. They have been getting too many calls from businesses reporting the thefts.
They already caught a couple of guys that way.

Last summer when the salvage price of copper started heating up thieves were out stealing all the wire off center pivot irrigators in western Iowa. They would go in at night ans strip all the wires. This was usually done when the irrigators were not being run. I understand they have developed a locking system to prevent this now. Also everyone is a lot more watchful of traffic in the area.

Jogeephus":3h44fd0l said:

Cool!!! :D

larryshoat":acw5j93f said:
Jogeephus":acw5j93f said:
We had one of those around here . He tried to climb a pole and cut the high tension wires .Yep thats right, he got a 7200 volt surprise .

It's getting worse around here too, theiving that is .They want to say it's because there is no work, nonesense, theres plenty of work they would just rather steal than do it .

Larry

At least he saved the tax payers the task of prosecuting him and taking care of him, I love a happy ending! :lol2:

larryshoat":3cosejy9 said:
Jogeephus":3cosejy9 said:

Larry

The free weekly newspaper printed a front page advisory to thieves--"It is a bad idea to target the electrical substation". I almost died laughing.

Theft in our parts has risen 20-25% in last 3 months, last week a couple of guys broke into a power company lot and stole over $30,000 of tools and stuff out of 72 trucks. A guy that owns the place next to us had about five old 40-50 model cars carried off for the metal i guess. The sad thing is the worse the economy becomes the more people are going to steal, around my place im trying to nail everything down that can be carried away. :x :(

SFFarms":1jace3ws said:
The sad thing is the worse the economy becomes the more people are going to steal, around my place im trying to nail everything down that can be carried away. :x :(

exactly what I was thinking while reading this post. Things will get worse before it picks up again. The Governments can only bail out so much.

I luv herfrds":x10nrhln said:
When there's a theft of, say a roll of copper, the recycling center holds it for 48hrs. Then they pay for it. They have been getting too many calls from businesses reporting the thefts.
They already caught a couple of guys that way.

Our local stolen goods receiving stations (recycling centers) pay and process immediately. They all know that it's stolen and don't give a rats a$$.

Keep your eyes open and your firearms loaded!

I talked to man recently who went to his haunting cabin in the mountains and found all the aluminum siding and rain gutters taken off and gone .

denoginnizer":weu2eje7 said:
They caught the thief. Turns out it was his own son.

Holy Moly!!! Must be pretty bad off to steal from your own dad. I'm inclined to agree with the other poster, drugs are probably involved. :???:

Latest posts