copper sulphate for spanish moss control

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
its a southern thing im sure but....

ever use it?

any luck with it?

i applied 2lbs per 30 gal and hand sprayed it onto a cpl oaks. of course it poured right afterwards so the rain probly washed it off and i wasted my time.

my original idea posting was to see if it was safe to graze afterwards but i found out its an additive in fert and is also given as a supplement to dairy cows so im guessing its fine to graze right after

I didn't realize spanish moss was a problem. I always wished we had some on our place. What's wrong with it?

well i believe it suffocates the trres as i only ever see growth where it isnt...thats contrary to everything you will read but sorry..i dont see it that way
it is not parasitic to the tree but it does wiegh down and break branches and creates a huge sail for the hurricanes to blow against at 90 mph.
im trying to get it out mostly for those reasons..wind and weight

cuz i kinda like the way it looks but i really think that it keep the tree from new growth except where it isnt on the branches..it doesnt grow out from under it it just kinda sprouts out away from it

I've used it in pecan groves. Need to use a lot of water. About 100 gallons per acre and blow it up into the tree. The moss will interfere with germination of the pecans and cause a poor yield. Be careful not to get it around tin or metal cause it can pit it. Another thing you can try is boost the tree with N. 3 doses at 100 units per acre will shake the stuff out somehow.

im using an elec sprayer offa the back of my quad or tractor. hand held but sprays up about 20 ft. i just soak the heavy stuff

it rained like stink about 4hrs after i sprayed it so i fgure that was a waste of my time..not doin it agin til rainy season is over...oct probly

farmwriter":1lwvj5y1 said:
I didn't realize spanish moss was a problem. I always wished we had some on our place. What's wrong with it?

Besides stunting the trees, I've always heard it was a really good breeding ground for chiggers (red-bugs).

Latest posts