COOL

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
COOL Delayed Two Years
The House-Senate agriculture appropriations conference committee voted to delay mandatory country-of-origin labeling (COOL) for meat, fruits and vegetables until Sept. 30, 2008. Under the 2002 farm bill mandatory COOL was to be implemented in 2006. Opponents of mandatory COOL have argued that the current law is unworkable and the costs for producers and industry would out-weigh the benefits. We can expect this issue to be revisited during consideration of the farm bill in 2007.
-- P. Scott Shearer, Washington, D.C.

Go figure.

Scotty

Dont you find it confusing that they say Cool regs will cost to much and will be a burden for us poor ranchers.... But in the next breath they want is to use a id system that they havent figured out, and they assure us that it will not cost us very much to implement. Of course the data could be used for Cool regs.............Sounds like a lot of bs, the packers wish to comingle carcasess, from different countries, Cool regs would stop that and impact their bottom line.

This latest effort to kill COOL was led by U.S. Rep. Henry Bonilla (R-Texas), who has received more than $167,000 from COOL opponents in the past three election cycles, making him their top beneficiary. The Food Marketing Institute, which represents the grocery industry, and the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, which represents the meat industry, have been the biggest opponents of mandatory COOL. It is apparent that our elected lawmakers' main concern is to protect the packing industry, and not US cattle producers or consumers.

The politicians represent those who speak the loudest and effect their careers most. Right now, the packing and grocery industry are speaking the loudest. Most Americans don't demand to know where their food comes from. If that were to change, I think you'd see an about face by the politicians concerning COOL.

I wish speaking loudly would be the determining factor in politics, but alas I think it all boils down to who has the most money to spend on the crooked politicians

rwtherefords":2csltug4 said:
The politicians represent those who speak the loudest and effect their careers most. Right now, the packing and grocery industry are speaking the loudest. Most Americans don't demand to know where their food comes from. If that were to change, I think you'd see an about face by the politicians concerning COOL.

The politicians represent the lobbys that offer them the most benefits. It's that simple.

Maybe this is why the Packers, Importers, and Retailers are putting so much money into the Congressional Pockets to defeat M-COOL....

With Brazils foot and mouth epidemic we should be slamming the door in their face, not talking about taking in more of their beef......Big Corporate Packer backed government is again putting the US cattle industry in jeopardy....I can't believe why NCBA is still blindly following the packer wishes....

----------------------

National & World Ag News Headlines
Brazil Will Push to Open U.S. Borders to Brazilian Beef
USAgNet - 11/01/2005

The Brazzil Magazine is reporting that Brazil will be honoring the visiting United States president with a typical South American barbecue, despite the outbreaks of foot-and-mouth disease in several Brazilian southern states, which prompted over 40 countries to temporarily ban beef imports from the world's largest exporter.
President Bush is scheduled to visit Brazil early next month following the Americas summit in Mar del Plata, Argentina, and President Lula da Silva has already anticipated that the distinguished leader, and Texan, will enjoy a display of "gaucho" culinary barbecue art when in Brasilia.

At least 14 FAM outbreaks have been officially reported in five states, including Sao Paulo, which have dealt a mighty blow to the powerful Brazilian meat industry with exports well over US$ 3 billion annually.

Trade and Industry Minister Luiz Fernando Furlan said Brazilian authorities will take advantage of the occasion to insist on the United States, the world's largest market for beef, to further open to the Brazilian product.

Restrictions on imports of Brazilian beef to the U.S. continue precisely because of the foot-and-mouth issue.

"Our main salesman is Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and he is going to serve President Bush products that are not on the table of U.S. consumers", Furlan is quoted Thursday in the daily Folha de S. Paulo.

At least 45 countries have imposed partial or complete bans on Brazilian beef imports since the outbreaks earlier this month.

Neighboring Argentina, fearing the quick spread of FAM, declared this week a state of sanitary alert and set up a strict network of sanitary controls along the Brazilian frontier with the support from Customs and armed border patrol guards.

Oldtimer":1se21msl said:
Trade and Industry Minister Luiz Fernando Furlan said Brazilian authorities will take advantage of the occasion to insist on the United States, the world's largest market for beef, to further open to the Brazilian product.
Maybe this is the trouble with Japan OT- We just need to insist. :roll: I believe we should insist they keep foot and mouth to themselves. Like we talked about before, you and I have differing views on many things. But we agree on this one.

Today 11/3/2005 11:35:00 AM

Cattle Update: Senator Burns On COOL

"We got down to the country of origin labeling that was put into law and signed by the President of the United States in the 2002 farm bill. It is the law of the land, and an overwhelming majority of both this body and the House of Representatives voted to put it there. Yet we are denied the money to write the rules and regulations and implement the law and put it into effect.

"This year, they just said: "We are going to go voluntary for 2 more years." I am going to tell you something. That has not worked. Now, there is nothing done here that is done in the dark of night. It is the law. Did we accomplish getting it implemented in this bill? No, we are delayed for two more years.

"What is even worse, there was no debate and no vote in the conference committee while the conference was going on. Just like I said, I have chaired conference committees on appropriations, and we did not leave that room until all of the issues that were still on the table were dealt with, folks got to debate them, we listened to them, and we got an up-or-down vote.

"We know that our cattle producers are pretty proud of their product. They produce a good product. We do not feed a lot of cattle in Montana, but we raise a lot of feeder cattle. They go to Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska to be finished out. They produce a great product for America's dinner tables, the greatest source of protein we have in our diet. They also want to know where it comes from, and that is being denied our producers today.

"I heard from my colleagues who say they should delay COOL until the farm bill. They say the law will not work and we need to rewrite it. I agree with some of that, but there are provisions right now that are in the current labeling law that need to be implemented.

"So I seriously doubt that any of my cattle producers can be convinced at this point that Congress intends to make a good-faith effort to improve the law as it stands today. We have had three years to work on that law, and the only thing Congress has delivered to the hard-working ranchers in my country is one delay after another, and that is unacceptable.

"We have given the meat packers years to volunteer and voluntarily label the meat. Not one packer has done that. We have certified Angus beef, and we have a lot of house brands and house labels and some breeds of cattle promote their production, but nothing says "USA." These delays are not designed to help us improve this important law; they are just a way [to let] the packers get their way.

"In all likelihood, this evening the Senate will debate this issue, and tomorrow we will pass this conference report. I did not sign the report, and I shall vote against it tomorrow even though there are some very good things in here, but enough is enough.

"Given the hysteria of the meat packers, one would think that COOL would destroy the whole industry, and one would think origin labeling is some outlandish, unheard of concept, when it has been around for the last four years. Packers whine about labeling products in the United States, [yet] the packers are engaged in country-of-origin labeling in foreign markets. I do not see what the difference is. It feels to me like you have been discriminated against for your product? And those who do not want labeling, are you not proud of your product? Are you afraid to put your brand on it? Afraid to put a label on it? What is the problem?

"Most of our major trading partners require country-of-origin labeling on imported beef and beef products. I could go all night about the situation in which we find ourselves in regarding to beef trade with Japan. We took a pretty tough stand. I believe that it is time that markets be opened.

"New Zealand passed a COOL law just last week at the very same time that this conference was shirking its duty to the American cattle producers. By the way, New Zealand is not afraid to put a label on their lamb. One can go to any grocery store, and the package says, ``New Zealand lamb.'' They are proud of that product. Yet we do not want to do that. Consumers in the United States do not deserve to know where their beef comes from, but foreign consumers do. That is the message we are sending on this conference report tonight.

"We know that foreign consumers demand U.S. beef. It is pretty plain. I have talked to the consumers in Japan. They are getting ready to serve these beef bowls. It is the most desired product we ship there. Yet by their standards, they have decided to keep our product off of their market. They have nerve enough to come here and expect us to accept theirs when they have a larger problem than we do in that arena. So Congress is telling the producers that they lose out again in this conference report with a delay provision put in at conference with no debate and no vote.

"I will cast a vote against the conference report when it comes up tomorrow. This is a terrible way to do business in the Senate. We can do better in this body. We can respect everyone's opinion and everybody's amendment and everybody's bill, but give them a vote.

"We are going to talk about a judge one of these days, and we are going to say he deserves an up-or-down vote. This issue does, too. There is no difference. And we were denied it.

"So I am disappointed, but yet we move along and there will be another day when again we will saddle up and try to get this legislation implemented, which basically is the law of the land. Make no mistake about it, this hurts our credibility. We better start taking our job very seriously."

November 3, 2005 Phone: 406-672-8969; e-mail: [email protected]

* * * UPDATED * * * * * * UPDATED * * * * * * UPDATED * * * * * * UPDATED * * *

U.S. Cattle Producers Praise Efforts of Senators

Who Voted Against Ag Appropriations Bill

in Effort to Keep M-COOL Law Intact

(Billings, Mont.) – With regard to today's U.S. Senate vote of 81-18, which puts into effect the FY06 agriculture appropriations bill, please attribute the following statement to Danni Beer, a South Dakota rancher who also chairs R-CALF USA's COOL Committee:

"R-CALF USA wants to offer enormous thanks to the U.S. senators who voted against the ag appropriations bill to show their support for the Mandatory Country-of-Origin Labeling (M-COOL) law passed in the 2002 Farm Bill. Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., Sen. Craig Thomas, R-Wyo., and Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., each publicly stated they were voting against this bill largely because it effectively kills country-of-origin labeling.

"These senators took serious note of last week's secretive conferee meeting, where participants – behind closed doors, with no debate and no vote – effectively killed Mandatory COOL by delaying the program until 2008.

"Mandatory COOL was originally to have been implemented on Sept. 30, 2004, but immediately after the 2002 Farm Bill was signed into law, the multi-national meat packers and big-business grocery retailers successfully lobbied for a delay until Sept. 30, 2006.

"Now these same special interests groups – supported by the same handful of congressional leaders led by Rep. Henry Bonilla, R-Texas, used the same underhanded maneuvers to once again delay Mandatory COOL, this time until Sept. 30, 2008.

"The conference committee tried to spin this development as a simple two-year delay, but because farm bills run for a period of five years, and the programs established in each farm expire when a new farm bill takes effect, this congressional action effectively kills Mandatory COOL.

"Today's vote is a setback for Mandatory COOL, but R-CALF will not waver from its goal of working with members of Congress who understand the importance of this program and the importance of seeing to it that Mandatory COOL is implemented on or before Sept. 30, 2006.

"R-CALF USA wants to thank the senators who expressed their disdain for the covert conference committee action that killed Mandatory COOL, as these individuals – both Republicans and Democrats – recognize this not only as a pro-competition issue, but also as a pro-consumer issue.

"Without Mandatory COOL, U.S. cattle producers are without the tools necessary to effectively compete in a global marketplace. We must have the ability to differentiate our superior products from among the growing volume of foreign beef products being imported into the United States.

"Consumers want and deserve the right to know where their beef comes from, and there is a growing recognition by consumers around the country that Mandatory COOL is the best way to provide such information. The U.S. cattle industry is going to get it for them."

# # #

R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) represents thousands of U.S. cattle producers on domestic and international trade and marketing issues. R-CALF USA, a national, non-profit organization, is dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry. R-CALF USA's membership consists primarily of cow-calf operators, cattle backgrounders, and feedlot owners. Its members – over 18,000 strong – are located in 47 states, and the organization has over 60 local and state association affiliates, from both cattle and farm organizations. Various main street businesses are associate members of R-CALF USA. For more information, visit http://www.r-calfusa.com or, call 406-252-2516.

Chuck":1qu66y8y said:
I believe we should insist they keep foot and mouth to themselves.
Chuck, it doesn't hurt to agree with OT every once in a while. Long as you don't make a habit of it. ;-) I can agree with both of you on the FMD. Seems like it's gonna get worse down there before it gets better:

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil, Nov 3, 2005 (Reuters) - Another 10 cases of foot-and-mouth disease were confirmed in cattle in Mato Grosso do Sul, bringing the total to 21 in Brazil's biggest beef state, the agriculture ministry said.

The new cases were in the district of Japora, near Eldorado district where the first outbreak was reported on Oct. 10 and within a 25-kilometer (15.5 miles) area that was sealed off in a bid to stop the disease spreading.

"They are all within the exclusion zone in the state," Jorge Caetano, the ministry's Director of Animal Health was quoted as saying by the official news agency Agencia Brasil.

A total of 49 countries have now restricted imports of Brazilian meat since the first outbreak was confirmed in the world's biggest beef exporter.

The curbs are expected to reduce Brazilian beef export earnings by $230 million to $2.8 billion in 2005, Antonio Camardelli, Executive Director of the Brazilian Association of Meat Exporters (Abiec) said.

Speaking after a meeting on Wednesday with Agriculture Minister Roberto Rodrigues, the country's meat export leader called for tougher measures to combat the highly contagious disease.

"Only in this way can we show the world that our health control measures are serious," Camardelli told Agencia Brasil, adding that in this way Brazil could prevent more countries blacklisting Brazilian meat.

Around 2,000 head of cattle had been slaughtered By Nov. 1 out of a total herd of 20,000 in the infected area in Mato Grosso do Sul.

"All the animals in the infected area should be slaughtered," the agriculture ministry's Caetano said.

The government said it would compensate farmers who had vaccinated their herds. Veterinary experts have suggested that the vaccinations may have been poorly applied.

The disease doesn't harm humans, but causes fever, weight loss and infertility in cloven-hoofed animals such as cattle, sheep, goats and pigs.

Latest posts