Cool Season Crops

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the board and to cattle but been reading a lot of it lately.
I got 40 acres and 13 adult bred cows. I currently have two paddocks, 20 acres each. I think I'm way over stocked as I only have native grasses. My question is: are there any fall crops I can plant this late? Ideally, I'm looking for something I can just broadcast. I tried asking a feed store and they just looked at me funny and offered to sell me hay. I'm in Navarro Cty, in North Texas.

I appreciate any ideas you may have.

Andrew

Welcome to the Boards, Andrew! You might try overseeding some ryegrass, but I'm not sure how well that will work with your soil type. I assume you have a heavier black clay soil. It is getting pretty late in the year. You might try it on one of your pastures and hold them off of it long enough to get some grazing this Spring. And if you mentioned having "paddocks" at a Texas feed store, I expect they did look at you funny. ;-)

Try doing a search on these Boards for ryegrass. We've had a lot of posts relating to ryegrass establishment. If you decide to try it, blend the seed with some P and K fertilizer and use a fertilizer buggy from the feed/fertilizer dealer to spread it. Go over it twice at half rate because the seed doesn't sling as good as the fertilizer. That should take care of your question from the Machinery Board, also.

I totally agree with Texan ryegrass would be your best bet as i to have had that same problem up north here. The native grass takes over everything unless you try to get control of it somehow. Also you might try to use a little clover not alot jsut throw some out there to help weed out that native grass. Clover will grow year around unlike some native grass.

However you may want to throw in a little blue grass. there are alot of things you could try but Like texas said Use some PanK fertalizer it will help alot. I would be leary about how late in the year it is getting though and then still try to have proper pasture rotation in the spring, jsut my thoughts hope this helps you

Bronc , how far north can you get clover to grow year around?

Clover grows year around here in the Dakotas except when the snow is on the ground though.

I do work for the King Ranch The King Ranch has outfits all over the world but then again you only think it's in TX don't you

bolsen":3els1qm6 said:
I do work for the King Ranch The King Ranch has outfits all over the world but then again you only think it's in TX don't you

Sure did. So what do they raise in the north?

We raise Angus/ Simmentals/ and herefords up here in the north with a small herd of brahman cows.

We use alot of Remitall and Lonker bred cows. We are curently working on line breeding King bulls right now it's been a long winded prosess

Nope not up here talk of bringing some up here in years past but nothing brought up lately about it

bolsen":169ygzhk said:
Nope not up here talk of bringing some up here in years past but nothing brought up lately about it

Good grief what kind of line are you using? I no more than hit submit and you already replied.

Our Weining weights on our bulls avg 760 and our heifers avg around around 600 yeah we creep feed

cherokeeruby":ddpdm33q said:
bolsen":ddpdm33q said:
We raise Angus/ Simmentals/ and herefords up here in the north with a small herd of brahman cows.

Are you saying that you have a small herd of brahman cows in the Dakotas?

Little Red Bramer Ruby did you bake that pie, I could get to like them long eared Bramers.