Cooking prime rib in oven

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
I'm a total rookie. Parents coming this weekend. Grandparents and so on. I want to eat good Saturday. Grabbed a 14 Prime Rib. I've heard of the 5 mins/# at 500 degrees and shut oven off for 2 hours. Will that work with this big of one? Butcher told me 325 1.5 hours then wrap with foil. Only problem with that I see is what time do I need to put it in oven for 7pm supper?!

Also reading uncover in fridge night before to let outside dry out and set on counter 2 hours before goes in oven?

Thanks!

5 minutes at 500 will barely brown the outside. If I recall, it's usually 500 for 30 minutes or so, then lower it to somewhere around 300 and cook until the internal is 120, then pull and don't touch for half hour. I don't like covering it, I prefer crust on the outside.

M.Magis":3cpoj00t said:
5 minutes at 500 will barely brown the outside. If I recall, it's usually 500 for 30 minutes or so, then lower it to somewhere around 300 and cook until the internal is 120, then pull and don't touch for half hour. I don't like covering it, I prefer crust on the outside.

I've done it both ways but think on a roast this big M.Magis has the right because 70 minutes at 500F might make an unsightly bark. I like to cook with a good thermometer or even two to be safe.

Till-Hill":1rympqwn said:
I'm a total rookie. Parents coming this weekend. Grandparents and so on. I want to eat good Saturday. Grabbed a 14 Prime Rib. I've heard of the 5 mins/# at 500 degrees and shut oven off for 2 hours. Will that work with this big of one? Butcher told me 325 1.5 hours then wrap with foil. Only problem with that I see is what time do I need to put it in oven for 7pm supper?!

Also reading uncover in fridge night before to let outside dry out and set on counter 2 hours before goes in oven?

Thanks!

My wife has done this a couple of times and it's been very good each time. I don't recall the size but don't think hers have ever been that big though.

Till-Hill":3i7eu4s5 said:
Thank you all, I'll take a bit of advise from all of you and I'm sure it will turn out great.

As long as you don't overcook it you can't mess up. A good thermometer is the key. Use internal temp over time every time and you can't miss.

Let us know. Just don't over cook it. Don't forget the horse radish sauce, and some plain horse radish for the purists.

Jogeephus":klycoun3 said:
M.Magis":klycoun3 said:

I've done it both ways but think on a roast this big M.Magis has the right because 70 minutes at 500F might make an unsightly bark. I like to cook with a good thermometer or even two to be safe.

Agreed.
500 for about 30-40 min. You're essentially looking for a sear on the meat surface. Reduce heat to 325.
Definitely want to use a good probe thermometer. Pull it from oven about 5-10 degrees short of target temp. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 20-30 minutes. For a whole rib roast, if ribs are attached, or cut & tied, figure total of about 3 to 3-1/2 hours to service time for medium rare. If its boneless, deduct about 30 min.

Yes, let it breath in refrig 24- 48 hours before cooking

Jogeephus":11wl7ho2 said:
Till-Hill":11wl7ho2 said:
Thank you all, I'll take a bit of advise from all of you and I'm sure it will turn out great.

As long as you don't overcook it you can't mess up. A good thermometer is the key. Use internal temp over time every time and you can't miss.
Leave thermometer in it whole time and look thru window or open oven up and stab it quick every so often?

HDRider":2r79fk0g said:
Let us know. Just don't over cook it. Don't forget the horse radish sauce, and some plain horse radish for the purists.
Will be none of that! Just some auju (spelling?) for me and just butter/salt/pepper/maybe garlic rub on it. Nothing fancy here in Iowa!

Till-Hill":3syznkrt said:
Jogeephus":3syznkrt said:
Till-Hill":3syznkrt said:

Leave thermometer in it whole time and look thru window or open oven up and stab it quick every so often?

Thermometer needs to stay in until you pull the meat and the internal temp starts to go down. I use a cheaper electronic one with an alarm. I think they cost $10-$15. The probe stays in the meat with a wire to the thermometer that sits on the stove.

:2cents: Pricey, but the best instant read thermometer I've ever used is a Thermapen.. Call me crazy, but I always smoked my prime rib using a cheap remote thermometer and check with the Thermapen before pulling. I'll eat the regular cooked stuff when I go out. Yes, horseradish and au jus are necessary.

Till-Hill":yp4hl2re said:
Jogeephus":yp4hl2re said:
Till-Hill":yp4hl2re said:

Yes, leave it in. One other tip I'd suggest is to not succumb to the wishes of the few who want theirs cooked medium well. This will only ruin it for you and really be disastrous when you eat the leftovers. To make these people happy, make some au jus sauce and pour it over their "pink" meat and it will immediately look like its cooked medium well and everyone will be happy because what they don't know will only make them happy,.

Jogeephus":1gevh6pp said:
Till-Hill":1gevh6pp said:
Jogeephus":1gevh6pp said:

Yes, leave it in. One other tip I'd suggest is to not succumb to the wishes of the few who want theirs cooked medium well. This will only ruin it for you and really be disastrous when you eat the leftovers. To make these people happy, make some au jus sauce and pour it over their "pink" meat and it will immediately look like its cooked medium well and everyone will be happy because what they don't know will only make them happy,.
Thank you Jo, Medium rare here in the center. Those that want it more done yes I'll try that or I'll even cook theirs more for them, but next year they get hamburger then!

Turned out great. It was to big for my pans so I did cut in half. 350 degree 1.5 hours uncovered, about 40 mins covered and 20-30 mins I let stand.

Flavor was great, it really shrank up a lot and was kind of a stringy piece of meat but every last piece got ate or was taken home!

Till-Hill":1me8syhs said:
Turned out great. It was to big for my pans so I did cut in half. 350 degree 1.5 hours uncovered, about 40 mins covered and 20-30 mins I let stand.

Flavor was great, it really shrank up a lot and was kind of a stringy piece of meat but every last piece got ate or was taken home!

Was it Iowa beef? Maybe you need some Texas beef. :)

Just kidding.

Prime rib is good stuff.

Haha, package said Angus beef, didn't say anything else on it of any importance...... I'm going to try a little better one next time

Latest posts