Cooking over a fire??

Help Support CattleToday:

Bella

Reaction score
My family and I have started cooking some our meals over a fire. I learned a few tips and receipes camping with my daughter and her Girls Scout troop. I tried making homemade biscuits and burned the bottoms, tried again and had dough instead of biscuits. I am using a dutch oven. Any tips that anyone knows about the biscuits, or receipes that they can share would be great.

Thanks looking forward to trying some new things out.

Camp ovens as we have in Australia are heavey cast iron pots with a recessed lid. For baking they work best sitting on coals, not direct contact with flames. We get a good hot fire going, let it die down a bit, clear a piece of dirt adjacent to the fire and place a shovel full of hot coals on cleared area then place oven on coals, then another shovel full of coals on the recessed lid. Biscuits and damper are best placed on a wire grate in oven to keep off bottom, roasts just straight on bottom.
I am soon to build a fireplace in the back of my woodshed so when friends come up we can sit around cooking tea, having a few drinks and telling a few lies. Nothing like it.
Ken

wbvs58":29oqfsi0 said:
Camp ovens as we have in Australia are heavey cast iron pots with a recessed lid. For baking they work best sitting on coals, not direct contact with flames. We get a good hot fire going, let it die down a bit, clear a piece of dirt adjacent to the fire and place a shovel full of hot coals on cleared area then place oven on coals, then another shovel full of coals on the recessed lid. Biscuits and damper are best placed on a wire grate in oven to keep off bottom, roasts just straight on bottom.
I am soon to build a fireplace in the back of my woodshed so when friends come up we can sit around cooking tea, having a few drinks and telling a few lies. Nothing like it.
Ken

I agree. Be sure to turn your oven a quarter turn every 10 - 15 minutes for even cooking.

When cooking biskquits in a dutch oven you only want a small shovel full of coals under the oven (I'm assuming yours has four legs) and a shovel or two on the top - I'm assuming yours has a lip on the top. It really doesn't take much to generate the heat you need. Key is to time it and not monkey with opening the top. You will smell them better than you can judge by looking at them. Also, be sure your oven is seasoned properly. Mine is pure black on the bottom. Don't wash it too hard either. Try this and when you get the knack of this cook the kids a pizza. You will surely get their interest up in cooking then. If you want some good recipes for the dutch oven I have a few around. Very easy to make. Good job spending time with the kids like you are doing.

Yep, need to have most of the coals on the lid, (same assumptions about legs & recessed lid) about 12-15 pcs, and only about 8 pcs underneath (for anything that will cook in an hour or less). It's really the same way your range oven works: radiant heat, not over a direct flame, and surrounding your food for even cooking. Anything that can be cooked in an oven or slow cooker can be cooked in a dutch oven using this method, and for meats you can still sear/brown in the dutch oven over direct flame or hot coals, then lid up & follow above method for roasting or braising. There are several good cookbooks dedicated to dutch oven & field cooking if you really get into it and want to try different things. Enjoy!

On a smaller scale, when camping with the grandkids, we use the individual sandwich cookers. They are perfect for the large size 'Grands' biscuits and cinnamon rolls. The key is making sure they are hot before you start. Only takes a few minutes and they are easy to watch. We have 6 of them and the kids do the biscuits while I work on the sausage/bacon/hamsteaks, eggs, and gravy. It's fun and some kind of good! I love it when they are over and ask if we can go outside and build a fire and fix breakfast for supper! Memories I'll cherish forever and I hope they will too. Now I'm hungry again! :)

That's a good site. I see they have peach cobbler listed as things to try. I highly recommend it. Very easy to do in a dutch oven. Get the kids to turn the crank on an old ice cream maker and you will make some timeless memories.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great tips! I'll look at the website listed as soon as I post this. Very exciting. I tried the biscuits again this morning and they worked out much better. I dont have a rack for the bottom of the dutch oven. Need to get one. I'm going to try either peach cobbler or strawberry cobbler next. Wish me luck. :lol:

I've never used a rack. Here is a very easy and good peach cobbler recipe if you'd like to give it a go. You can tweek it proportionally as you see fit based on the size of the oven or the thickness you want. I included some pictures so you can "see" rather than read the technique. or lack thereof. :oops:

10" Dutch Oven
1 stick butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
salt
1 can fruit
1/4 tsp vanilla

1 Melt butter in 10 inch Dutch oven.
2 Mix other ingredients in bowl.
3 Pour mixed ingredients into melted butter and add fruit but do not stir.
4 Place lid on Dutch oven, add coals, and cook until top is brown.

Placing bottom coals.

P1100061.JPG

Butter
P1100062.JPG

Pour the batter in and then pour the fruit trying to get it spread as evenly as possible over the whole mix. DO NOT STIR

P1100063.JPG

Place lid on and lay coals on lid.

P1100064.JPG

As the cobbler cooks, work the coals to the outside as the center will brown first and the heat is needed on the outside edge in order to get it brown also. Spin the lid 1/4 to 1/2 turn every 5 to ten minutes in order to eliminate hot spots, especially if there is a little wind.

P1100065.JPG

After the cobbler has been cooking for about 15 minutes, start checking about every 5 minutes. When the cobbler starts to brown on top, remove the DO from the bottom coals and continue to cook until the desired color is achieved on the crust. At this point, remove the lid and remove the coals from it. When the coals are removed, replace the lid. Lid will still be hot and will still brown it a little more. If its going to be a while before serving and the top is browned as you wish, crack the lid so it doesn't sweat on the crust.

P1100066.JPG

BTW - somewhere on the board is a recipe I posted called Guataloupe Pie. Its outstandingly easy to make with a dutch oven and its almost guaranteed not to have leftovers and its a meal that only requires the washing of one pot. Actually won a contest with this years ago.

I actually found it with the search.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36113&hilit=pie+dutch+oven

great advise. thanks The pictures helped alot I've only been going on a one time instruction. The receipe looks great.
Thanks again to you both.
Bella

Yeah, it takes a little getting used to only cause its different. Once you get a feel for it you can cook anything. I used to be real active in scouting and we couldn't get the guys interested in cooking so we made them cook their own meals. Some of the dishes they made were terrible. When we - the leaders - pulled a pizza out of the dutch oven the boys began to see that learning how to cook might not be that bad afterall. :lol2: :lol2: The biscuits in the morning cinched the deal and I do think there are a few good cooks out there today because of these campouts. :lol2:

Here are some pics from the last time the wife and I cooked for a big crew, I believe we had 23 to feed. We smoked 2 briskets and a wild hog shoulder and did the rest in the dutch ovens. Not much you can't cook with a little practice. We always have a big fire that we pull coals from as needed. These pics might give you some ideas.

004-3.jpg

Preheating the lids is a good idea
007-3.jpg

Double rack for biscuits works really well, the rack fits right down inside a #14 deep sided oven
009-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

015-4.jpg

021-2.jpg

023.jpg

Salmon patties are always on the menu
019-3.jpg

017-2.jpg

020-1.jpg

:clap: :clap: Good job Wildcattle. That is some campsite and cooking operation. What was in the large pot with the cloth covering it?

Thats a big bean pot. Its about 5-6 gallons I think. We pre-cook beans the day before and keep them hot in that big pot on some coals. The pot sets on three rocks with just a small shovel of coals.

Google Stella Hughes
she had a cookbook or 2 out for dutch oven cooking
she was a real dutch oven cook because that is all she had to feed a crew when they were gathering cattle
Her husband Mack managed the cattle on the indian reservations in Arizona
I beleive it was in the White Mountains
he has been herding cattle in the lords herd for several yrs and I am sure Stella is doing the cooking for the crew

Latest posts