converting row crop to pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

dbrews1954

Reaction score
I bought a small farm last fall 40 acres about 15 are tillabile, it has been into corn 4 a few years, my intention is to plant the front 5 acres into pasture of some sort, the back 10 into something i might beable to take some hay off and maybe pasture it at a later date, i am in western michigan,i have some lowline angus i plan to pasture, rt now have them in a small area around the barn feeding hay,there are a few acres of grass mixed in with the wood lot i could fence temp to let them graze, so my question is this, the back ten the corn was cut ,the front 5 was picked, all rows have some grass in them, should i work it all up and start fresh,or could i top seed it or maybe no till,so i could get the cows on it faster? my soil results should be back tomorrow,
thank you for any help dave

Once you get your soil tests back and make sure the nutrient needs are where they need to be and that the pH is good also. Easier to fix those things when the ground is tillable than when you have it planted to grass. Get those things corrected and then work the ground and then seed it. Make sure you have good seed to soil contact.

Latest posts