Convert 6 volt to 12 volt ?'s

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
I am planning to convert my 601 Ford from 6 to 12 volts. Can anyone tell me what all I will need to do?

Fly-guy":rptu3k0x said:
I am planning to convert my 601 Ford from 6 to 12 volts. Can anyone tell me what all I will need to do?

I converted an 8N to 12 volts.
I just changed the generator to a 12 volt alternator, put 12 volt bulbs in the lights, changed to a 12 volt battery, and that is all. The 6 volt starter worked just fine, just don't crank it for a long time.

You can install a Chevy alternator in your tractor very cheaply and do a much better job than the old generators did. Get an internal regulator chevy alternator like off a 77 chevy pickup or suburban at Auto Zone (etc.) for 20-30 bucks and a new alternator connector plug for it off the "HELP!" hard to find/specialty parts rack in the store. It will have two leads. The brown one needs to be hooked up to the ignition switch or any other wire that will be 'hot in run' (have power when the key switch is on and dead otherwise- confirm this with a test light) This is the exciter wire that starts the alternator charging. The red wire on the connector can simply have a ring connector crimped on the end and connected to the charging terminal on the back of the alternator. Then run a heavy guage wire from the alternator charging terminal stud/nut to the starter and connect it under the battery cable terminal stud on the starter solenoid. If you really want any easy install get a self exciting one wire chevy alternator out of the JC Whitney catalog and all you have to do is run a heavy wire to the starter solenoid battery terminal for a charging wire, but it's a bit more expensive. The hardest part of the whole deal is adapting the generator mount to the alternator (or fabricating one) and the belt routing :)

Install your 12 volt battery with the negative as ground. The 6 V starter will work fine but like the other guy said don't crank on it a long time without letting it cool. The starter will run turn a lot faster and usually that helps the engine start a lot faster anyway but if you have one that's hard to start be careful about cranking too long.

The light bulbs will have to be changed to 12 v. 6v bulbs will burn out very quickly.

DON'T FORGET TO PUT A RESISTOR IN THE IGNITION COIL CIRCUIT! You will need a ballast resistor installed in between the coil power wire (from the ignition switch) and the coil to lower the voltage to the coil and points/ condensor. It will run without it for awhile but will eventually burn up the coil or the points and condensor because the higher voltage pushes too much current through them. The other alternative is to replace them with a 12 volt coil and points/condensor. You can get a ballast resistor in the tune-up parts at TSC or the tractor dealership. If you have a positive ground tractor you're switching to negative ground (it MUST be negative ground to work with a chevy alternator) then reverse the wires on the top of the coil so the spark plugs will fire with the right polarity and lower the firing voltage. The starter doesn't care which is ground because it works either way because of how it's built. The alternator MUST be negative ground though or it will burn up immediately because the diodes are all polarized for negative ground. You might have to reverse your guage wires if they read backwards as well. Of course if your tractor is already negative ground then these problems don't apply.

Switching to 12V will save you a ton of aggravation and money spent on those stupid weak 6v batteries too, so it's well worth the effort! Good luck and take it easy! OL JR :)

Fly-guy":11h42tn1 said:

If you will send me your e-mail address, I will send instructions and a photo of the alternater installation on a 1963 Ford 4000. Same set up will work on your tractor. Send to [email protected].

Hey guys, sorry about the slow response. I appreciate the information and will try to find the time to work on the tractor after the first of the year. Unfortunately I have more projects than I have time.

hurleyjd, lets try a PM for your pictures!

Latest posts