Conventional flush. 1 or 2 straws ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have two cows dropped off to be conventional flushed. The tech is real good. He works on a dairy, AI and Embroyo work is his full time job. He says I only need one straw per cow. Others tell me to put 2 straws ? @ $500 a straw I hate to waste a straw if one will do and would hate for him to miss. Any advice ?

@ $500 a straw I'd of flushed 2 cows and split the straw.
IMO tho if a cow is good enough to flush the cost shouldn't matter. But law of averages is you get 0 eggs more than anything else. Unless you have flushed her before and got her dialed in on the perfect set up shot program for her.

@ $500 a straw I'd of flushed 2 cows and split the straw.
IMO tho if a cow is good enough to flush the cost shouldn't matter. But law of averages is you get 0 eggs more than anything else. Unless you have flushed her before and got her dialed in on the perfect set up shot program for her.
Can you split a straw with a conventional flush ?

Absolutely, good breeder, cow in heat, clean conditions, timing just right. I watched a famous Holstein breeder use a unit on 3 cows that was $1500/unit and got 40 some fertile eggs. All the stars need to align tho!

With the few I've been involved with we did two straws 6 hours apart. A friend does two straws at the same time. I understand doing two six hours apart but two at the same time makes no sense to me.

With the few I've been involved with we did two straws 6 hours apart. A friend does two straws at the same time. I understand doing two six hours apart but two at the same time makes no sense to me.
That's the advice I am getting 2 straws at the same time ? Makes no sense.

Latest posts