Controlling Winter weeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
I renovated some fescue pasture this fall. I now have a thick crop of winter weeds. Would you use 2-4-d now on a warm day or would you use something with residual, because i know i will have weeds this summer. I have heard of using residual type in the fall.

Is this the pasture renovation where you slung out red clover? Any weedkiller is going to kill the clover.

Douglas":4crpkjvm said:
1982vett":4crpkjvm said:
Is this the pasture renovation where you slung out red clover? Any weedkiller is going to kill the clover.
no clover

I suppose it kind of depends on the weeds. The common winter weed around her is hen bit. We just leave it go since in the spring it will die anyway. Helps to insulate the soil and protect a bit from erosion. Our fescue is dormant so it doesn;t hurt anything. In the thicker fescue pastures the henbit gets crowded out in a few years.

Douglas":8mummyhb said:
I renovated some fescue pasture this fall. I now have a thick crop of winter weeds. Would you use 2-4-d now on a warm day or would you use something with residual, because i know i will have weeds this summer. I have heard of using residual type in the fall.
2.4- D Amine is the cheapeast works best above 40 degrees about 2 pintes per acre in 20 gallons of water per acre. No residual whch I prefer. 2,4 - D + Remedy for bad broadleaf weeds like Leafy Spurge, but plain ole 24d amine ought to get it

Red Bull Breeder":13mwqnsb said:
Not worth the expense to spray winter weeds, in fescue. Like Dun said they will die in the spring.
I dont see anywhere Dun Said that-not on any post in here -- what are you smoking. you goofball :tiphat:

I wouldn't use Remedy. Remedy is a brush spray and is very expensive. Also there are no registered tank mixes for Remedy(in Canada, not sure about US).
Personally if I was you I would wait until spring as few sprays work well below 45F. I would use either GrazeOn or Restore. Restore is a very safe product and fairly cheap. Restore is a combination of 24D and aminopyralid(Milestone). If you can get Milestone it is a very effective, environmentally safe, residual that is cost effective...although that 10 liter jug is a shock...$1200! Dow-Elanco.

Alberta farmer":12ux5oim said:
I wouldn't use Remedy. Remedy is a brush spray and is very expensive. Also there are no registered tank mixes for Remedy(in Canada, not sure about US).
Personally if I was you I would wait until spring as few sprays work well below 45F. I would use either GrazeOn or Restore. Restore is a very safe product and fairly cheap. Restore is a combination of 24D and aminopyralid(Milestone). If you can get Milestone it is a very effective, environmentally safe, residual that is cost effective...although that 10 liter jug is a shock...$1200! Dow-Elanco.

Crossbow is a combination of remedy and 2-4D
it is 1/3 oz remedy and 1oz 2-4D

I don't think we have Crossbow in Canada. Will have to check the new Blue book.
Remedy is the agricultural name for Garlon4 and already has some 24D in it(many sprays do...it helps the other chemical enter the plant) as well as a kerosene base.
Quite frankly Remedy is a very expensive weed killer. In that $50/acre range. GrazeOn would be about $28 and Restore around $18?
I do a lot of industrial spraying(pipelines/well sites) and the preferred spray is now Milestone. Probably the lowest environmental impact of any industrial spray. a lower LD number than Roundup, doesn't move, breaks down very rapidly, and is cost effective.
For leafy spurge Tordon 22K is the best product but again very expensive and has environmental issues.
In the USA farmers have no problem getting just about any product...not so in Canada...you need an industrial licence to get Milestone or 22K.

4CTophand":1pe0b2w5 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1pe0b2w5 said:
Not worth the expense to spray winter weeds, in fescue. Like Dun said they will die in the spring.
I dont see anywhere Dun Said that-not on any post in here -- what are you smoking. you goofball :tiphat:

You either can't read, or you're the goofball. Go back and re-read what dun posted. It's there.

Alberta farmer":3i8yjinw said:
I don't think we have Crossbow in Canada. Will have to check the new Blue book.
Remedy is the agricultural name for Garlon4 and already has some 24D in it(many sprays do...it helps the other chemical enter the plant) as well as a kerosene base.
Quite frankly Remedy is a very expensive weed killer. In that $50/acre range. GrazeOn would be about $28 and Restore around $18?
I do a lot of industrial spraying(pipelines/well sites) and the preferred spray is now Milestone. Probably the lowest environmental impact of any industrial spray. a lower LD number than Roundup, doesn't move, breaks down very rapidly, and is cost effective.
For leafy spurge Tordon 22K is the best product but again very expensive and has environmental issues.
In the USA farmers have no problem getting just about any product...not so in Canada...you need an industrial licence to get Milestone or 22K.
you must be paying alot more for remedy than we are
I bought 4 cases and the cost was $82 per gallon and at the mix rate of 1/3 oz per gal ofwater and 30 gal per acre that is only $6.40 of remedy per acre

Alberta farmer":h9o283y2 said:

Must be a border crossing/price problem. 10 liters is just a bit more than our 2 1/2 gallon jugs (10.56 quarts). Monetary exchange can't make that big of a difference. AC is right on with the remedy. I had good luck with 6 oz remedy and 2/10ths oz clean-pasture (generic cimarron). About $6.25 per acre.

Hey Vette,

We get those great results in NC that you did with the generic cimarron along with 1 pt of 2-4-d per acre. Add 1 pint of generic silicone per 100 gallons for sticker to penetrate and watch em die! Found a cheap source for the generic cimarron in Nebraska by the way that will UPS the stuff to your door.

Cleans up those bermuda fields like nothing else. Even suppresses the bahia.

HUS

HUS":1f4m0yav said:
Hey Vette,

We get those great results in NC that you did with the generic cimarron along with 1 pt of 2-4-d per acre. Add 1 pint of generic silicone per 100 gallons for sticker to penetrate and watch em die! Found a cheap source for the generic cimarron in Nebraska by the way that will UPS the stuff to your door.

HUS
I usually use a 2,4-d product except that I have one place that is in an area that 2, 4-d is barred from use during cotton growing season.

1982vett":v9osu0oi said:
HUS":v9osu0oi said:
Hey Vette,

HUS
I usually use a 2,4-d product except that I have one place that is in an area that 2, 4-d is barred from use during cotton growing season.

Weeds indicate a soil problem as well usually low ph. Check your ph. A big problem in the south in the winter as well is grasshoppers as it doesn't get cold enough to stop production. Three hundred grasshoppers eat 30 pounds of grass a week a days supply for a cow. Lots of grassfarmers(Cattlemen) spend tons on chemicals and nothing on grasshopper mangement. This also helps the weeds to propagate as there is thin to no grass in areas.

Working on the soil problems. Lot of room to improve after 100 years of taking and not returning much. Farm land is in good shape but pastures were always ignored. I didn't really have a big weed problem this past spring. I sprayed some that probably wasn't cost effective to spray but did anyway. Had a lot of grass cover from a bountiful year before. Not going to be so this coming spring. One thing about the current situation, I don't have a crop of winter weeds, they need rain to sprout and grow also. No wild mustard, no henbit, no thistles...nothing.

Angus cowman: Yea, we get to pay a lot more for a lot of things in Canada! The last time I was in Great Falls Montana I stopped in at the Big Red Farm Supply store and could not believe the low prices on herbicides. We cannot import herbicides into Canada from the USA...at least as individuals.
Also your Ivomec is much cheaper in USA than Canada...come to think of it just about everything is one he!! of a lot cheaper! I did buy a pair of boomless nozzles at half the cost of Canadian...and that was with about an 83 cent Canadian dollar. We generally get screwed up here pretty good.

Why try to kill the weeds? Let the cattle graze them down. If the weeds aren't allowed to bloom, they won't be back as most "weeds" are annuals.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dANLnHEi19A. (Cows Eat Weeds.)

Thistles and other especially obnoxious weeds can be grazed heavily if you spot spray the weeds (or weed patch) with molasses.

Molasses is cheaper and you don't have to spray the entire field or paddock - just the weeds you want to control.

Once you've sprayed a certain type of weed 2 or 3 times with molasses, the cattle will seek these weeds out first - without them being sprayed - it's just a matter of teaching them to like different plants.

Latest posts