Controlling Johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Recently started leasing some new hay ground, I worked the ground this fall and reseeded it with fescue orchard grass and medium red clover I've got a real good stand and it looks great but this field is always full of jg. The owner doesn't want me to run any livestock on the farm and there isn't any fence. We currently have a 13 ft wick that attached to front end loader that works pretty good, just wondering g if there is any other way to control it. I've baled it in the past and it makes good enough feed I just hate having something in a field I didn't plant. I plan on wicking it at least twice unless someone gives me a better alternative

I believe your doing all you can. Personally, I quit fighting it. I cut rake and roll it and go on. There are easier, and cheaper battles.

i unroll hay over it during winter.. i've cut the stands in 1/2 every year.

Never heard of unrolling hay over it in the winter. Can you explain the theory on that?

I planted 20 acres of Johnson grass years ago and fought the same battle. Would have liked to tried cattle as I know that helps but mine wasn't fenced either. Finally gave up like Bigfoot and decided to keep it fertilized well and not cut it too short. This seems to help as much as anything. I think you'll be disappointed with the wick bar. Everyone I know who have used them quit because it always seems to come back.

KW

The way to get rid of JG is to wear it out. That is why JG won't survive in a continuously grazed pasture. As it comes up the cattle graze it off very short, after they do this over and over again it just exhausts the root reserves and it dies out or at least just goes dormant for a long, long time....because it has a way of coming back when given a lengthy rest period.
Since I have been doing rotational grazing with lengthy recovery times, I have JG that is flourishing again. If it ever gets to go to seed.....that just seems to re arm it again.
In a hay field situation, probably cutting hay early then mowing it fairly short every two or three weeks....sort of like your yard. I never see JG growing in a yard that is mowed frequently.
But then mowing it short frequently would hinder the haying process.

Latest posts