Controlling blackberry and such?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
Hi all I just rented a 27 acre pasture and need to kill blackberry, persimmon, and dogfennel. What do yall suggest for the job.

If there aren;t any trees you want to save, Surmount would be my first choice except for the fennel. If there are trees you want to save, Remedy and Grazon will do the job but the berries need to be blooming for it to really be effectivre. Grazon or 2,4-d eill work for the fennel

Used grazon P+d and rmedy. After the finnel is out you can spray blackberries any time they have leaves even in november, but best results is just befor blooming on a worm day.

Surmount
If trees you will have to use 2-4D and Remedy. Grazon will kill trees just like surmount.

alabama":3ech9dx3 said:
Surmount
If trees you will have to use 2-4D and Remedy. Grazon will kill trees just like surmount.
If you spray directly on the trees it may kill them. Surmount will kill them if you spray the ground under the trees.

dun":3j04fe8s said:
alabama":3j04fe8s said:
Surmount
If you spray directly on the trees it may kill them. Surmount will kill them if you spray the ground under the trees.
so on a pature that has locust trees and greenbriars and some blackberries that I am wanting to reclaim
surmount would be the better option than 2-4D and remedy

Angus Cowman":1uhcjtba said:
dun":1uhcjtba said:
alabama":1uhcjtba said:
Surmount
so on a pature that has locust trees and greenbriars and some blackberries that I am wanting to reclaim
surmount would be the better option than 2-4D and remedy
From my results it would be. If we ever get a couple of dry days I'll be doing it too.

Got a couple of gallon of free Velpar that I am going to use first. I had not tried the surmount but will use the velpar on the bad woody places and then buy some surmount. Is there anything it just does not seem to kill very well?

kenny thomas":2h8tsby0 said:
Got a couple of gallon of free Velpar that I am going to use first. I had not tried the surmount but will use the velpar on the bad woody places and then buy some surmount. Is there anything it just does not seem to kill very well?
If I remeber correctly it didn;t do a lot with sapling size walnuts. But they do appear dead now so maybe they just take longer

Oh he[[ I thought you meant the phone. I am ready to throw mine against the wall(more than once). :mad:

I also contact the local fire dept to let them know what's gonna be going on

Thanks for all the help, I'm going with the 2-4D and Remedy, the farm supply has Remedy the cheapest I've seen in a while $69 a gallon.

gertman":3fu5xhe6 said:
Thanks for all the help, I'm going with the 2-4D and Remedy, the farm supply has Remedy the cheapest I've seen in a while $69 a gallon.
Remember that 2,4-d is very volatile and will spread where you don;t spray it.

Angus Cowman":2stt3kfh said:
Kingfisher":2stt3kfh said:
A dozer.........:)
kind of extreme and very costly to destroy a whole field when a little spray will do the job
plus on locust tress you can doze them out and if you don't get ALL of the roots or peices of the roots they WILL return

How do you figure we going to " destroy " the field.....it ain't good already............ya'll must have bigger tractors than we have at this farm, or we got way bigger berry patches.....:) How would you spray a big one? With an airplane? Like I said maybe our " patches" aint the same...........we are looking forward to bringing ladders to climb ours this year if it will rain a little........

Kingfisher":1llpjbge said:
Angus Cowman":1llpjbge said:
kind of extreme and very costly to destroy a whole field when a little spray will do the job
plus on locust tress you can doze them out and if you don't get ALL of the roots or peices of the roots they WILL return

How do you figure we going to " destroy " the field.....it ain't good already............ya'll must have bigger tractors than we have at this farm, or we got way bigger berry patches.....:) How would you spray a big one? With an airplane? Like I said maybe our " patches" aint the same...........we are looking forward to bringing ladders to climb ours this year if it will rain a little........
if they have been let get that out of control then they need mowed down because spraying would be hard and very ineffective mainly becuase you have aot of old growth that isn't producing leaves or blooms and it woul be difficult hetting adequete chemical on all of the plants to do a efficient job of destroying them

I have seen some pick blackberry briars but don't think I have ever seen any big enoough that I needed a ladder to pick berries most and I have seen some BIG patches a pair of limb nippers are usually what we used and woukld cut our way into the patch as we picked the berries on the outside and we would cut away the dead briars
But then again you are fron Texas and everything is bigger there :lol: :lol:

And just because a field has blackberries and locust in it doesn't mean it doesn't have good grass in it also, and putting a dozer in it would destroy the good grass and cause you more problems than the blacberry and locust tress are

Angus Cowman":3ad72jq4 said:
I have seen some pick blackberry briars but don't think I have ever seen any big enoough that I needed a ladder to pick berries most and I have seen some BIG patches a pair of limb nippers are usually what we used and woukld cut our way into the patch as we picked the berries on the outside and we would cut away the dead briars
You've missed a great pleasure in life. When I was a kid we would build a scaffold the length of the berry patch, about 200 yds long by 30-40 feet high. It would get swallowed by the berries and the next year we ould build a new one. The inside of this wall of crap was hollow to about 10 feet and the sides about 20 feet on a side. In Seattle that's the way it was done in the 40s-50s. As they ripened we would pick them everyday for probably a month or so. My mother loved those sorry things and canned them by the gallon. That was our fruit all winter. To this day I won;t eat anything with blackberry in it. Maybe that's part of my vendetta against them here.

Angus Cowman":2ap5dudu said:
if they have been let get that out of control then they need mowed down because spraying would be hard and very ineffective mainly becuase you have aot of old growth that isn't producing leaves or blooms and it woul be difficult hetting adequete chemical on all of the plants to do a efficient job of destroying them
If you mow them, wait till next year to spray them. If you spray this year you'll waste chemicals. The growth won;t match up with the root stock and all you'll do is kill off the top growth, next year they'll come back with a vengence.