Contracted Tendons

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Have a calf that has contracted tendons. Used splints and have them feet pretty well straighten out. Now there is alot of swelling at the lower joint to the point of the hide opening up. Giving asprin for swelling and pain. Is this normal to go threw this after the feet get straighten out? Or is this a lost cause?

Holycow":acx7btgk said:
Have a calf that has contracted tendons. Used splints and have them feet pretty well straighten out. Now there is alot of swelling at the lower joint to the point of the hide opening up. Giving asprin for swelling and pain. Is this normal to go threw this after the feet get straighten out? Or is this a lost cause?
If this isn't some special animal, why not sell it cut your losses and replace it with a healthy one.

Holycow":1t9uw4tt said:

Sounds like either irritation from the splints or some type of infection. Wack it hard with LA200 or equivilent.
I've seen similar problems with the splint program, but not to the degree you describe.

dun

That seems really odd.. we've had plenty of cases over the years of contracted tendons on calves, and never had any subsequent problems like you described.

Is it possibly from irritation from the splint? Banamine is good for pain / fever and to reduce the swelling.. but if it's a decent calf, I would definitely chance a vet visit. Let us know!

Dun, when I read your posting it all made some sense. I should have caught it yesterday! He was starting to get alittle lethargic but was still eating and if I would have took his temp I would have knew. As soon as you said infection in the joint we took a temp and it came in at 105F. He got a load of LA-200. How and why would he get some type of infection in a joint? We will see tomorrow A.M. how he feels. THANKS!

Holycow":zbwdplpu said:
Dun, when I read your posting it all made some sense. I should have caught it yesterday! He was starting to get alittle lethargic but was still eating and if I would have took his temp I would have knew. As soon as you said infection in the joint we took a temp and it came in at 105F. He got a load of LA-200. How and why would he get some type of infection in a joint? We will see tomorrow A.M. how he feels. THANKS!

My guess would be you had the splints on tooooo tight, cut off the circulation :shock: