Contracted Tendons Update & More Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

renerice

Reaction score
I just wanted to give an update on the calf from this thread. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71580&e=0 I also have a couple questions. He is 6 weeks old today and he is still not walking normally. This is a picture from today of how he walks at his very best.
100_2736.jpg
As you can see, he still has a ways to go. At 6 weeks old, is there any chance he could still go back to normal eventually? Or should we give up on him? Is there anything else we can try doing to get him to walk normally? So far we have tried lots of physical therapy, and lately we've been using splints on him. (The splints are made of a 3" pvc pipe cut in half the long way and taped onto the front of his leg with duct tape. They go from a tiny bit above the tip of his hoof to a couple inches below his knees.) He also has some swelling between his "toes" on both front hooves which we are having a vet look at today. Anyway, I just wanted to get some opinions as to whether or not there's anything else we can do, and if we should even try any longer. Thanks!

I think he'll still make a full recovery, must say I'm surprised it has taken as long as it does with this little progress, usually it takes about 10 days to go back to normal.

That's really encouraging to hear! Exercise...yeah he hasn't been getting much of that. He's in a 1 1/2 acre pasture with a heifer, but he mostly lays around. It seems to be painful for him to walk, which is why we are having the vet out to take a look at the swelling and figure out exactly what it is. Once that's resolved, I'll have to make sure he gets lots more exercise.

Well the vet just came out. Turns out the calf has pneumonia, and a small abscess on his navel. He gave him a shot of something (forgot what it was called) right into the navel and an antibiotic in his neck. He also looked at the inflammation between the calf's "toes" on both front feet and he said it's not something he would worry about. He said the combination of pneumonia, the abscess, and just walking on them abnormally was probably causing the inflammation in the calf's hooves. He also was very encouraged by how much the calf has improved as far as how straight his legs are. He said he thinks the calf will probably make a full recovery!

If anyone has any other comments or advice I would love to hear from you!

Latest posts