Contracted tendons/ Lax tendons/ Crooked Calf Leg

Help Support CattleToday:

Got some calf grower calf starter feed from the feed mill. She would eat it if I put it in her mouth. She eats about anything I put in her mouth. Other wise no interest in eating it.
That's about normal.
Usually takes several weeks for them to figure out what a feed bowl is.
That's been my experience anyway. The ones I've had penned up, figure it out sooner.

ester c as in this?

Yes that is Ester-C. I agree with Jeanne - Simme Valley that we need to focus on a good quality milk replacer. All of us involved in this discussion are in different areas and may not have the same brand name products available. A good quality milk replacer should have the correct ratio of vitamins and minerals in it. I am cautious of trying to use a vitamin or mineral supplement as I have seen individuals that were trying to correct a deficiency create other imbalances. I know we are not supposed to promote products on this forum but , an example of a product I have available that some of you may not, or may not have even heard of is Manna Pro's Unimilk. It lists the vitamins and minerals in it. I have had good results with it. Is it expensive? Yep :)

Wish you and the little calf the best 🐮

I think we are all very curious about what replacer your calf is receiving. If you would tell us the name or snap a picture of the bag it might help others help you. Most likely what you are using is fine, but without knowing what it is we can't be sure. The name should enable others to look up protein and fat content, check out mixing instructions and make sure this is not a mostly soy product. If we knew what you are using, someone on here would likely have experience with the product and could comment on their results.

For example I was easily able to look up Manna Pro's Unimilk including product details, ingredients and a guaranteed analysis. This product is for multi species and very expensive. $29.99 for only 9 pounds. That would be $166 pounds for 50 pounds, so not practical to feed long term but maybe something you keep on hand for an emergency short term use on a multi species farm. It does include soy. In my opinion there are better and less expensive products that are specifically designed for your calf, including different products designed for either beef or dairy calves

The main problem now is she does not get up. Today she will not even stand. Not so much she cant, but refuses to. I got her to stand while she was drinking, but otherwise will not. Started to eat more grass today. She actually started eating off the ground like a regular cow. But she keeps getting weaker by not being up. I put her in the barn over night, was cold last nite, but that seems to be worse for her. I give her tons of straw, but she moves around and is laying on concrete after a while. She is outside now. Seen animals dont get up, dont live. Ever. Never this young, always older.

Here are the ingredients. I was told this is a very good from a trusted vet.

Attachments

• milk rep.JPG
    milk rep.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Yes she is. They can be fed pretty much every fruit and vegetable that humans eat.

For the future, how does one get colostrum to a calf if the cow is not able to give milk? Is there a special feed/milk you can buy somewhere? Lets say Getting it from a diff cow is not an option. What does one do then?

For the future, how does one get colostrum to a calf if the cow is not able to give milk? Is there a special feed/milk you can buy somewhere? Lets say Getting it from a diff cow is not an option. What does one do then?
You said this is the second calf she has not milked for-I think your cow has retired herself, rare breed or not. The misery this calf is/has gone through due to multiple issues (lack of colostrum a prime culprit) does not need to be repeated.

I'm sorry - but, I feel sorry for animals under someone's care that has so little knowledge and refuses to listen to a trained vet. If the vet says your calf appears to be starving - don't get riled - ask questions. Show what you are doing, find out what you need to be doing better.
We can only guess what to advise you.

Feeding it "BLUE BERRIES" - oh, only a few - this is a newborn with a fragile digestive system.

#1 rule for any newborn - ANY, EVEN PEOPLE - must have colostrum immediately. You knew this cow was not a good mother and yet you CHOSE to let her have another calf. In "our" eyes (somewhat knowledgeable cattle producers) - you are being cruel and selfish. If your "cow" is so valuable - you could have flushed her and put embryos into a GOOD momma cow.
READ - LEARN - don't experiment on live animals.

I am not trying to be mean or to chase off the OP - I just know the majority that have taken time to answer these questions, are truly shaking their heads. We really want to help but you need to be willing to listen.
Your calf "appears" to have been born with a common problem that "generally" takes care of itself by just the exercise the calf does to get up and nurse. Obviously, this calf did not nurse within an hour or so of birth. Continued to get weaker and you wonder why it can't stand?? And, yes, there may be numerous other genetic oddities that we are totally unaware. It sounds like it also developed white muscle disease (lack of Selenium). I know you got a shot for it, but you might need to give another one.
If you have livestock, you will have dead stock. We all know this fact. You need to find a vet that you trust and is willing to work with you. That means you need to have a vet out for a visit/routine health program - not just when you have an emergency. We all hate having to pay a vet for something we can do, but if you want a vet to work with you, you have to be willing to have him/her out when you don't have an emergency.

The main problem now is she does not get up. Today she will not even stand. Not so much she cant, but refuses to. I got her to stand while she was drinking, but otherwise will not. Started to eat more grass today. She actually started eating off the ground like a regular cow. But she keeps getting weaker by not being up. I put her in the barn over night, was cold last nite, but that seems to be worse for her. I give her tons of straw, but she moves around and is laying on concrete after a while. She is outside now. Seen animals dont get up, dont live. Ever. Never this young, always older.

If she won't get up have you considered a harness. We had a young down cow, little different to your problem, but to start with we took an end each and held her up, when she got too big to lift safely we used straps under her and pulled her up, eventually she was standing by self without realising. Took a while, massage every day, rolling her over, cleaning her, but the day she stood on her own was worth every minute, now she's a monster! It may help a little with yours

Rudolf passed away July 1st. I buried her. She ate good every day until one morning. She died a few hours later. She did not suffer much I do not think. Did not seem to be suffering much.

Did about everything everyone said on here. Including the shot, the people pills for tooth aches and what not.

Another blue albion cow had a bull calf a week ago. Calf is strong and well with lots of energy. This cows is much younger. So far he is pretty tame.

Attachments

• blue buster (1).JPG
    blue buster (1).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • blue buster (3).JPG
    blue buster (3).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Latest posts