Contracted tendons/ Lax tendons/ Crooked Calf Leg

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you. I asked my neighbor about not getting her this colostrum and he said he didnt think that was her problem.

Thank you. I asked my neighbor about not getting her this colostrum and he said he didnt think that was her problem.
I know you really tried to save it and sometimes unfortunately we can't always. It's part of it, glad you have another calf that is doing good. As for colostrum, there were other problems, but colostrum is such a major part of getting a calf off to a good start that I would never minimize its importance. Even under the best of care it is extremely difficult to raise a calf without it.

That is one thing I will never understand. Why the vet doctor world is so far behind in developing. If a human gets sick, almost always they know what it is and how to fix it. A animal, they are clueless.

That is one thing I will never understand. Why the vet doctor world is so far behind in developing. If a human gets sick, almost always they know what it is and how to fix it. A animal, they are clueless.
There is only one species of human. Research and development of new drugs and techniques costs money. As you alluded to, many people aren't willing to go to the expense required to "save at all costs", animals have a price point at which it becomes beyond the budget to treat. People can get insurance that covers the cost of medical treatment. An animal has to have an economic value for the veterinary research to be done. Pets and high value livestock get the treatments and research.
as in human medicine, your vet can't care more than you about correct treatment. There are "bad" vets just as there are good. They have to have something to work with though. If they have nothing to help them with the animal's recovery (animal illness causes, management styles), they can't do much. Especially if the owner gripes about a farm call fee when their animal has been down for a week already 🤨

Large animal medicine is often limited to what we can carry on a truck and what an owner is willing to pay. If you're willing to bring your animal to a specialty hospital or university and hand them a blank check, they'll be able to provide a level of care comparable to what you might see in humans.

Latest posts