Contracted tendons/ Lax tendons/ Crooked Calf Leg

Help Support CattleToday:

She might be getting worse. Had her up this morning for a while standing and walked a little. Afternoon she didn't want to keep her back feet up. Her back feet where never a problem before. Maybe she was just to tired from morning therapy. God help her.

She has been through a lot, be patient, allow her to rest. As the angle of the joints/legs begin to change, it is possible
it may create soreness/more soreness in the tendons. Ester-C helps rebuild/repair soft tissue in joints

Let's get back to WHAT KIND of milk replacer are you using? There are good ones and then there are not-so-good ones. Your calf sounds WEAK.
Contracted tendons is relatively common - and it usually takes care of itself. You just have to make sure calf doesn't have to travel too far and it stands long enough to drink.
White muscle disease (lack of Selenium) sounds like a strong added factor. I understand you gave the BoSe - but was it too late? Might hit it again with Se.
Show us a pic of your bag of milk replacer.

Been mixing it in a 3 qt bottle with with a full cup and maybe almost a half cup, directions say a full cup is 10 oz, Directions say 2 qt to a full cup.
I've never seen a 3 quart calf bottle. All of the ones I've seen advertised, or at the farm stores were 2 quarts, which is 1/2 gallon. Where did you get that bottle? Are you sure it is 3 quarts? If it is actually 2 quarts, you are mixing it way too thick and that could explain some of your calves symptoms.

Assuming this is a 3 quart bottle, your measurements should be correct. 10 ounces to 2 quarts is a fairly standard measurement, so if your cup holds 10 ounces and you are mixing 1 and 1/2 of them (15 ounces) to make 3 quarts of milk, that should be correct. If you know the name on the bag of replacer, we could probably find the tag with a description of the contents and mixing instructions online. That would be very helpful in trying to determine if the replacer should meet her needs. I know that dairy calves need a higher fat content replacer than beef cows, so perhaps that is part of her problem? Are Albion a dairy breed? She looked Holstein in the photo. In most cases, two to three feedings spread out over the day should have been enough to keep her going. There is something else wrong I think. That calf looked so thin.

Making the milk too thick can overload her with protein that the body will try to flush out in her urine. I think over time an overload of protein might even break down the tissues, organs, and the structure of the body. Additionally, an animal that consumes too much protein will be at an even greater risk of contracting diseases and be predisposed to other symptoms such as kidney problems. Protein overload can also result in weight loss.

Last edited:
She has been through a lot, be patient, allow her to rest. As the angle of the joints/legs begin to change, it is possible
it may create soreness/more soreness in the tendons. Ester-C helps rebuild/repair soft tissue in joints
ester c as in this?

I've never seen a 3 quart calf bottle. All of the ones I've seen advertised, or at the farm stores were 2 quarts, which is 1/2 gallon. Where did you get that bottle? Are you sure it is 3 quarts? If it is actually 2 quarts, you are mixing it way too thick and that could explain some of your calves symptoms.

Assuming this is a 3 quart bottle, your measurements should be correct. 10 ounces to 2 quarts is a fairly standard measurement, so if your cup holds 10 ounces and you are mixing 1 and 1/2 of them (15 ounces) to make 3 quarts of milk, that should be correct. If you know the name on the bag of replacer, we could probably find the tag with a description of the contents and mixing instructions online. That would be very helpful in trying to determine if the replacer should meet her needs. I know that dairy calves need a higher fat content replacer than beef cows, so perhaps that is part of her problem? Are Albion a dairy breed? She looked Holstein in the photo. In most cases, two to three feedings spread out over the day should have been enough to keep her going. There is something else wrong I think. That calf looked so thin.

Making the milk too thick can overload her with protein that the body will try to flush out in her urine. I think over time an overload of protein might even break down the tissues, organs, and the structure of the body. Additionally, an animal that consumes too much protein will be at an even greater risk of contracting diseases and be predisposed to other symptoms such as kidney problems. Protein overload can also result in weight loss.
Where ever my dad got the bottle from. Likely Fleet Farm. its a 6 pint bottle. It has levels for every pint, clearly says pint.
Let's get back to WHAT KIND of milk replacer are you using? There are good ones and then there are not-so-good ones. Your calf sounds WEAK.
Contracted tendons is relatively common - and it usually takes care of itself. You just have to make sure calf doesn't have to travel too far and it stands long enough to drink.
White muscle disease (lack of Selenium) sounds like a strong added factor. I understand you gave the BoSe - but was it too late? Might hit it again with Se.
I got it at a local feed mill. Vet looked over the ingredients and said it was good. What is Se?

She is weak, all 4 legs want to give out soon after she is up. Harder to get her to stand also.

Where ever my dad got the bottle from. Likely Fleet Farm. its a 6 pint bottle. It has levels for every pint, clearly says pint.

I got it at a local feed mill. Vet looked over the ingredients and said it was good. What is Se?
Selenium. Mineral that is low in some areas, part of the Bo-Se shot your vet gave.

But she is eating more grass now. Was feeding her clover today. Getting some calf starter tomorrow at the feed mill.

Three quart bottles are quite common; most of the dairies I work with use them now. Two quarts twice a day is obsolete on progressive farms.

Thanks Buck. In my area I only see 2 quart bottles, so I thought I'd ask to be sure it was really 3 quarts. Most beef calves are smaller than dairy calves and there are no dairies in this county, so perhaps the demand for larger bottles is not there. I like to switch them to a bucket anyway once they're eating good.

Got some calf grower calf starter feed from the feed mill. She would eat it if I put it in her mouth. She eats about anything I put in her mouth. Other wise no interest in eating it.