Contracted Tendons/Knuckling Over

Help Support CattleToday:

The only reason they die from this is that they can't keep up with mom and starve

I wouldn't be as bold as to say the only reason, but I agree that if the splints means they can get up on their own and stand to suckle I am all for splints.

The important part is to make sure they can't chave the leg. I use 2" poly pipe cut lengthways with both ends heated up and flared open. I then put thick cotton wool on the entire leg and keep it in place with elastoplast, then I put the pipe splint on and duct tape it like sir loin has done in his post above. As soon as the calf moves well take one splint off, wait a day or so and take the second one off.

I know this thread is a little dated, but I'm reading on this as I have a little bull calf with not only contracted tendons but bow legs. I can't tell from the picture, but does the splint go on the front, back or side of the leg?

Thanks

Kelly,

Front and back.
Tape the bottom first then squeeze the top together a little and tape. The next day squeeze a little more and add more tape.

Can you post a picture?

SL

13 years as a vet now. yesterday a 24 hours old black angus calf born to mature cow with front and back contracted tendons.
This is a foal remedy but also works great as a calf remedy too. 35cc of oxytetracycline IV slow to a 80lbs calf 45cc to a 100 lbs calf.
the calf was treated at 8:30 am and the rancher just told me that by noon he could stand on his own.
the theory is that oxytetracycline will bind to calcium in the bloodstream. it may produce greater elasticity in the tendons. if this is not how it works, who cares IT WORKS!!!

That's interesting c_vet. I knew that oxytetracycline was the treatment with foals and wondered if it would do the same with calves. We don't see much of this problem in our herd though and, when we have, they've recovered without assistance. Always handy to know though if we get a really bad case so thanks.

c_vet":394oj2cu said:
13 years as a vet now. yesterday a 24 hours old black angus calf born to mature cow with front and back contracted tendons.
This is a foal remedy but also works great as a calf remedy too. 35cc of oxytetracycline IV slow to a 80lbs calf 45cc to a 100 lbs calf.
the calf was treated at 8:30 am and the rancher just told me that by noon he could stand on his own.
the theory is that oxytetracycline will bind to calcium in the bloodstream. it may produce greater elasticity in the tendons. if this is not how it works, who cares IT WORKS!!!

This is the post I was talking about. It is also on sites about tendon contraction in calves and foals on the Internet. It supposedly works but this may not be the cause. They are several reasons why this would happen.

Vet is comin out Tuesday to give shot but only if it's not better. I will let you know if it works or not. Its funny, but the calf looks exactly like the one in this post. But it's nose is bright pink, not black. Is that normal? It is only a day old. It looks ok and is nursing good.
Colleen

c_vet":3t4e4789 said:

Yup my vets have sucessfully used this in calves with extreme knuckling and it works.

He still is not better. Vet was supposed to be coming tomorrow to give shot, but it is supposed to be really bad weather tomorrow. Really want to get that shot in him so he can get moving and I can quit worrying!

Renerice,
I was just searching for info and restricted tendons and came across this thread. I'm looking for answers for our little fellow who's front legs are very similar to the pics of yours. Just wondering how it panned out for your little chap?
Rusty

The shot that horse folks advocate is oxytet. Don;t know how much or how often. Don;t understand why it supposedly works either.

Time will heal it!! Give it at least 2 weeks with the stretching of the tendons when you can. Ours healed in about 14 days. Only able to exercise him about the first. 3 days and. They straightened right up!! The shot was going to be a last resort if he didn't start showing improvement in a week or so. And the vet would have to be the one to give that because of the calfs age etc. But the calf got a little better every day. So just give it time!!

The standard ROT is if you splint them or mess with them they will be 100% in 6 weeks, if you leave them alone and let them straighten themselves out by them selves it will take a month and a half

Latest posts