Contracted tendons in a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

BettyVan

Reaction score
Hello , Im very new at this so sorry if I sound Nuts ! I have a 5 day old calf his front Left Leg was broke during Birth and his back right leg has contracted tendons . His Mom has lost ALL interest in him we are bottle feeding him , all of this is a first for me ! What im trying to figure out is will he walk ever ? He tries but kinda hobbles in a circle . His front leg is in a cast , should I be doing more for his back leg ? I kept standing him , Now he is standing up on his own and he wears himself out trying to walk . Is this normal ? I dont want him suffering any more than he has already , And at the same time I don't want to loose another calf . What more should I be doing ? :help:

When he's laying down try straightning his hoof and stretching the tendons slowly. When I get 1 I work his foot back and forth for a bit then hold it straight for a while. It'll probably work itself out in a day or 2. Never had 1 that did'nt. He'll walk, just hang in there.

You can also wrap the back tightly with a washcloth and then apply hoof tape (the sticky tape that people apply to horses) -- it'll help the little bugger use his feet at the back better than walking on the fetlock joint and getting a cut.

Take the tape off after a day and then do it again if necessary. Keep standing him up and making him walk -- he'll get it.

If his front leg is broken and in a cast you should not be trying to get him up and putting weight on it.
You need to try and keep him down for about two weeks and just exercise his rear leg for him.
I'm not sure but I don't think they make crutches for calves. Maybe someone else knows.
Pete

LF leg broke - I would expect the calf to stand a little odd on the RH. Think about the diagonals. If the RH can be extended all the way when the calf is laying down, he does not have contracted tendons. Don't create a problem if there isn't one.

Latest posts