Contest - 'Fails'

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":19od8zh8 said:
RanchMan90":19od8zh8 said:
Nesikep":19od8zh8 said:
I've watched many runaway diesel videos on youtube.. the Detroits are the most spectacular, especially for the sound!
Seen a few on first gens while turning up fuel. I always keep a board handy to block turbo to kill it.

I have to do that to a truck in the near future here.. definitely going to have something to kill it with handy!
I'm actually thinking of making a slide gate style shutdown for temporary installation out of 3/16th aluminum.. kinda like the RV sewer valves.. doesn't need to be fancy, just kill the air.. wouldn't even have to be that big as airflow isn't critical.. Could probably make one that's sized so that it gets too restrictive to have a full blown runaway!
I just keep a 2 foot section of 2x6 around, take off intake, and have somebody ready to block turbo if needed. Turn fuel screw in til it raises idle and rev a couple times to make sure throttle doesn't stick, only turn 2 turns if you don't have a pyrometer. I've only had non intercooled models runaway though.

RanchMan90":3vl96act said:
Nesikep":3vl96act said:
RanchMan90":3vl96act said:
Seen a few on first gens while turning up fuel. I always keep a board handy to block turbo to kill it.

I have to do that to a truck in the near future here.. definitely going to have something to kill it with handy!
I'm actually thinking of making a slide gate style shutdown for temporary installation out of 3/16th aluminum.. kinda like the RV sewer valves.. doesn't need to be fancy, just kill the air.. wouldn't even have to be that big as airflow isn't critical.. Could probably make one that's sized so that it gets too restrictive to have a full blown runaway!
I just keep a 2 foot section of 2x6 around, take off intake, and have somebody ready to block turbo if needed. Turn fuel screw in til it raises idle and rev a couple times to make sure throttle doesn't stick, only turn 2 turns if you don't have a pyrometer. I've only had non intercooled models runaway though.
This is in like a 1925 pontiac car.. never run hard enough to need a pyro! Needs to roll coal to make a show

Nice! Take the AFC spring out to roll coal for a bit then put back in after horseplay. Pyrometers are cheaper than engines, ask me how I know :dunce:

This is what happens when you put 1.75 tons all the way to the front on a trailer made to haul cars, with nothing behind it. By the way, it wasn't me, and I wasn't anywhere around when it was done.

RanchMan90":21g730uh said:
Nice! Take the AFC spring out to roll coal for a bit then put back in after horseplay. Pyrometers are cheaper than engines, ask me how I know :dunce:
This car doesn't have the weight to load the engine for long enough to get EGT's up there.. roasts the tires off as it is with 150 hp.. I'll be putting a governor spring and fuel pin in, and then backing off the AFC spring, though I'll leave it in place... I'll maybe fiddle with the preboost screw a little too and bump the timing too

Nesikep":1r4b39v0 said:
I've watched many runaway diesel videos on youtube.. the Detroits are the most spectacular, especially for the sound!
You won't think they are so spectacular when it's a set of dual 6-71s down in a little engine room on a Mike boat or LCU.
Usually run away when an injector freezes up at full fuel position holding the rack wide open on all cylinders and if you don't get it shut down quick enough, it starts pulling lube oil past the seals in the blower. Usually, if the craftmaster kept the marine gear engaged, and a load on that bank of engines, you could get it shut down, but sometimes, they'd see the tachs in the pilothouse run up and first thing they did was shift to neutral. It's all over but the crying then and best you can hope for is the blower shaft lets go before the con rods do. No where to hide down there except behind the 4-71 genset.
1. What steps do you take when an engine runs away?
Ans: The ones leading up out of the engine room, 2 at a time.

One series 71 I've never seen or worked on. A 12hp 1-71.
JJ.2011-DD%20151%20genset.JPG

Ive heard stories from the old sailors about some big opposed piston Fairbanks running away. Got to be a train wreck when the tops of those big pistons hit each other...

greybeard":14snlxxz said:
Nesikep":14snlxxz said:
You won't think they are so spectacular when it's a set of dual 6-71s down in a little engine room on a Mike boat or LCU.
Usually run away when an injector freezes up at full fuel position holding the rack wide open on all cylinders and if you don't get it shut down quick enough, it starts pulling lube oil past the seals in the blower. Usually, if the craftmaster kept the marine gear engaged, and a load on that bank of engines, you could get it shut down, but sometimes, they'd see the tachs in the pilothouse run up and first thing they did was shift to neutral. It's all over but the crying then and best you can hope for is the blower shaft lets go before the con rods do. No where to hide down there except behind the 4-71 genset.
1. What steps do you take when an engine runs away?
Ans: The ones leading up out of the engine room, 2 at a time.

One series 71 I've never seen or worked on. A 12hp 1-71.
JJ.2011-DD%20151%20genset.JPG

Ive heard stories from the old sailors about some big opposed piston Fairbanks running away. Got to be a train wreck when the tops of those big pistons hit each other...

I haven't heard about opposed piston Fairbanks in years. That is what the USN trained dad on as diesel mechanic.

Lots of those old FM 38Ds still around in tugboats CB.
There's some research and development ongoing, especially in Europe on resurrecting OPE technology now that they know how to reduce emissions. A 4.9l 3 cyl is developing about 275hp @1600rpm.

I'm sure I could do more than 2 steps at a time!
Yes, keep a load on it, the more the merrier.. if possible, a fire extinguisher in the intake, or blocking it off are the best routes, especially if the runaway was caused by turbo seals leaking... If it was caused by a stuck injector, and someone was smart and put a valve in the fuel supply that could shut it down too

Was a diesel mech. Back in the 80s at a Oldsmobile dealership.. When those 350 boat anchors would runaway, I just clamped the fuel return line with pliers. To shut em down

Nearly closing time(22 July) for contest...have only received two entries so far. Send your 'fails' in please :)