Contaminated milk...

Help Support CattleToday:

Saru

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope some one can help me! One of my cow is infected by some disease but am not sure what it is..even doctors cant find this out..

The problem, its giving a contaminated milk in one of the teat(very thick like puss...) rest other 3 are ok... Can some one help me to find the problem and also how can I treat this....

Thanks..............

Saru":ozmo9se7 said:
Hi All,

Hope some one can help me! One of my cow is infected by some disease but am not sure what it is..even doctors cant find this out..

The problem, its giving a contaminated milk in one of the teat(very thick like puss...) rest other 3 are ok... Can some one help me to find the problem and also how can I treat this....

Thanks..............

Sounds like mastitis but surely your vet would recognize that since it's so common in cattle. I'd infuse the quarter with a tube of good mastitis meds.

It was very unfortunate..vet not able to find the real cause...Can you pls suggest some medicines and also the way to treat this...

Many thanks.........

With it only affecting one quarter, I'm thinking some type of infectious bacteria, which is mastitis, although mastitis isn't always caused by the same thing, or successfully treated by the same thing.

I don't know where you live, but I can go to the local feedstore and buy mastitis medication. It will be in a syringe with a plastic "needle". You insert it into the teat and push in the medicine. Also you could give shots of broad spectrum antibiotics like penicillan, excenel, nuflor, etc. Some would be vet only. If you have a vet who specializes in large animals/farm animals, he/she should know what it is, but at the very least will have the medicines to treat for it.

You need to get a second opinion! Take a sample of milk from quarter and have it tested before all quarters are infected. Vet will advise exact medication for specific bacteria/organism that is present-there are various types of mastitis. It could be a case of non-specific mastitis too. Treat all quarters in the interim.

This mastitis will spread to other cow`s ... through air or any medium?. If then I need to preserve this in a seperate place?

Saru":3rcoa64s said:
This mastitis will spread to other cow`s ... through air or any medium?. If then I need to preserve this in a seperate place?

Always a chance of it but very doubtful.

Saru":1xgarknk said:

Depends what type of bacteria it is. Certain types can pass environmentally, on your hands during milking, from cow to cow, etc. Just follow good practices, keep the cows clean, bedding dry, use sanitizing solutions, wear gloves during milking, don't allow contamination between the mastitis cow and other cows. If you are really concerned, or even just curious you can send a milk sample to your local diagnostic lab or university lab to have them test it and find out what type of bacteria,etc. it is.

Latest posts