Container Gardening

Help Support CattleToday:

ARS

Reaction score
I'd like to try my hand at gardening, but wanted to start small, so I plan to try container gardening this year. So far I'd like to try: tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, herbs and strawberries. We have a ton of empty mineral tubs that I think would be perfect for container gardening. I plan to drill holes in the bottoms for drainage and keep them on our back deck which gets midday-afternoon sun. I also feed birds off this deck, so netting is on my list of things to get! Any tips or tricks? I'm located in Ohio/Zone 6 for reference.

Also, I'd love to try any recipes you recommend - I'd like to try freezing things such as pasta sauces, berries, and also drying and storing the herbs. I'm not quite ready to try canning yet!

Your on the right path, may want to put a few rocks at the bottom of each container for better drainage. We did this last year and had success

Your on the right path, may want to put a few rocks at the bottom of each container for better drainage. We did this last year and had success
Thank you! I'll make sure to do that.

I'd like to try my hand at gardening, but wanted to start small, so I plan to try container gardening this year. So far I'd like to try: tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, herbs and strawberries. We have a ton of empty mineral tubs that I think would be perfect for container gardening. I plan to drill holes in the bottoms for drainage and keep them on our back deck which gets midday-afternoon sun. I also feed birds off this deck, so netting is on my list of things to get! Any tips or tricks? I'm located in Ohio/Zone 6 for reference.

Also, I'd love to try any recipes you recommend - I'd like to try freezing things such as pasta sauces, berries, and also drying and storing the herbs. I'm not quite ready to try canning yet!
I tried it here a few years ago, and even set the tubs up on cinder blocks but couldn't keep the fire ants out of the tubs.

For canning and freezing, I go here:

(scroll down to the freezing section)

I have been growing in the cattle tubs for many years. I drill 4 holes in the bottom. The experts now say to not put any material in the bottom of the pots for drainage. A lot of people still do, but it is not helpful according to the experts. Pics of green beans and kale.
StBRWCAm.jpg

24H0g3gm.jpg

I dropped off 14 empty lick tubs to the new neighbors ( been here two years) last week. She is going to grow potatoes in them. She said the voles ate most of her potatoes last year. Then started complaining that there weren't enough coyotes around to keep the voles in check. So I gave her the tubs, and told her I do my best to shoot all the coyotes I see. ;)

Cucumbers and tomatoes go a looooooooooooooooong way so don't overdo it. Strawberries work fairly well in them and we manage to get a decent amount of corn and peppers out of them too.

Lemon tree I started from a cutting in tub, about 4 years old.
XfyuEFM.jpg

Tomatoes grown in cattle tubs.
ZxnUDrIm.jpg
Looks like a great harvest! Hopefully I'll have some pics to share later in the year.

Cucumbers and tomatoes go a looooooooooooooooong way so don't overdo it. Strawberries work fairly well in them and we manage to get a decent amount of corn and peppers out of them too.
I'm trying to start small but I keep finding more things I want to try!! Need to bring my husband along with me when I buy seeds/materials so he can keep me in check 🤣

Latest posts