Consumption of Mix 30

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Dun, when I put out the first batch of Mix 30, the cattle ate it like junkies eating cocaine. But I am seeing this cycle: Several cows at the tank, lap it up until they can't stand to go without a drink of water to get rid of the "thirsties" that comes with the salty taste. Then when they move to the water trough, here come the others to take their turn. The bosses see the second class group coming to get a taste, so they decide they need to go back for more. I am not sure if the water lets them get the salt taste out for a second helping, or if they are close enough to make the others leave. Is this the part where you say to put some distance from the Mix to the water trough? Seems it is much compared to eating country ham. The more tea close by, the more you can eat.
Did your cattle just slowly come off the consumption of the Mix or did you have to adjust that yourself?
I can tell a difference in the cattle. We brought in some from a man's house that needed some attention before winter hit. They looked bad. They are beginning to fill out faster than just with the pasture, hay and some grain alone. I will be glad when their weight gets OK to stop the grain. These cattle looked like they would not have made it through the winter. It is a shame that people let animals get in that shape. They are no longer his cattle at this point.
Chuckie

Ours just gradually slowed down on the consumption. The tank is only 50 feet from the waterer and the minerals are half way between to two. Ours would hit it pretty hard when they came up for water, get a drink, slurp some slop, get a drink and head back out to graze (actually try to find anything green) then come back and settle for hay. Most of them only visited it once a day. They would stand in lineed up, fairly patiently for their turn to get to the stuff. Only 4-5 could get to the stuff at one time because of the location and the size of the tub.

dun

Latest posts